View Single Post
Old 23-02-14, 02:57 PM

Default Thacker’s Indian Directory, Including Burma, 1940-41

After making my posting with the list of ‘Lock Manufrs’ from Kelly’s Directory of Merchants, Manufacturers and Shippers of the World of 1940, which I had actually found a couple of years ago, I’ve been making a renewed effort to try and find information on Indian badge makers from the Second World War. This has now lead me to some on-line issues of Thacker’s Indian Directory on the ‘Digital Library of India’ website, which look to be quite useful in this respect.

The lists of companies given as being in Aligarh, which are just shown in a single ‘Commercial’ section arranged alphabetically rather than according to their trade as in Kelly’s, are too long to put up here in their entireties. However Thacker’s Indian Directory, Including Burma, 1940-41, Embracing The Indian Empire, and Burma has the following entries under Aligarh for the ‘Industrial Factory & Lock Works’, showing a wide range of products made by this firm, T. L. Sharma & Co., confirming that the entry in Kelly’s is indeed incorrect when it has them as ‘B. L.’, and ‘Eden & Co.’, badges apparently being made by this company’s having been put up by Marcus in posts #10:

I have also had a look at the 1937-38 edition of Thacker’s, and will post up some of the entries from that separately later today if I can.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 24-02-14 at 07:52 PM.