View Single Post
Old 27-01-12, 07:01 PM

Default Leicesters TF Badge

I’m afraid that I’ve been off-Forum for some time now, for one reason and another, so have only now seen this thread. Anyhow, although I realise this might be rather late in the day, I thought I’d just post up a couple of personal comments about Malcolm’s badge - so here goes:

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’ve only been collecting cap badges for a couple of years, so am certainly not as experienced or knowledgeable as many other Forum members. However, by now I do have a fair bit of experience when it comes to Leicesters badges, and have to say that I am personally very wary of this particular manufacturer’s type. When I first began collecting Leicesters badges I bought one of this maker’s design, albeit an all-brass/gilding metal version (see here for my old posting about this), and was advised it was actually a modern repro. Since then I have seen various other examples, both for the Regulars and the Territorials, mostly without sweat-holes though some with oblong ones. More worryingly perhaps is that I have come across examples of this same maker’s type bearing the fake 15mm “J.R.Gaunt[dot]London” mark, as well as the fact that this same type is apparently still being made (I’ve seen examples being sold on e-bay by some of those known to deal in restrikes, where the badges are clearly new). I must also say that whilst part of me would like to believe that genuine old examples of this manufacturer’s type could have been worn by the Leicesters, I have yet to see one of these badges with what I would consider to be an authentic patina or the ‘feel’ of a truly old badge. I would personally say that in this instance there is a likelihood that the badge in question was actually purchased fairly recently to accompany the medals, and that it was not actually issued to the soldier concerned. Anyway, as I say these are my own personal thoughts on things – for what they may be worth!

Regards

Martin

P.S. Malcolm and Marc – you are now both on my contacts list, so should be able to see my Gaunt Album.

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”