British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Pinned: Australian Insignia Albums (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3631)

Mike 24-09-08 07:31 AM

Pinned: Australian Insignia Albums

Australian Insignia Albums:
A spectacular display of some Antipodean material courtesy slick_mick

(will open in a new window/tab)

Australian Badges - Pre Federation

Australian Badges - 1900 to 1912

Australian Badges - 1912 to 1918
Includes WW1 badges

Australian Badges - 1930 to 1942
Militia period badges.

Australian Patches - up to 1945

Australian Badges - 1948 to 1953

Australian Badges - 1953 to 60

Australian Badges - Post 1960

Australian Patches - Unofficial - Vietnam War

Royal Australian Armoured Corps Badges - Post 1970s

slick_mick 24-09-08 08:57 AM

Well done Mike - I should add that they not all mine - some are mine, some used to be mine, some are in friend's collections and others came from public sources such as ebay.

Either way, I've put them up as a reference to everyone and I hope you all enjoy viewing them.

I'll add to them when I get a chance.

Mick

Lancer 17 12-08-10 06:45 AM

Hi Mick

Another great posting, keep up the good work.

Great to show the rest of the Forum what we have down under.

Cheers

Phil.

kingsley 20-02-11 05:04 AM

australian badge image gallery

Dear Mike,
I have just joined the forum and this is my first post.
I would like to know why I am unable to access the image gallery of Australian badges recently posted by slick_mick. I get a message saying that I do not have privileges in viewing them.
Thanks,
kingsley

Mike 20-02-11 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsley (Post 101424)
Dear Mike,
I have just joined the forum and this is my first post.
I would like to know why I am unable to access the image gallery of Australian badges recently posted by slick_mick. I get a message saying that I do not have privileges in viewing them.
Thanks,
kingsley

Hi Kingsley, it's explained in the notes at the end of the forum rules page.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm

Coast Watcher 01-07-11 06:56 AM

Thanks for that. Some very nice badges there. Some of those are on my wish list.........

RACT 07-11-12 02:00 AM

Badges

I shall have to work out how to put pics on the site, so i can show some of my stuff as well.

Bob

GTB 04-08-16 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What a splendid display. I have been going through them with pleasure as I have a few bits and pieces of Australian items, various periods, and these albums will certainly add to my knowledge.
A couple of questions concerning some QC badges, pics supplied:
1. 4th/19th POW LH. One is chrome, prong at back; the other is wm, 2 loops N & S. What is significance of the different metals? Is it a Time-frame difference?
2. 1st Armd RAAC. One is chrome, cast; the other is a light bronze, die-struck. Significance again please.

Will look for any other badges that require querying
GTB

Voltigeur 04-08-16 06:30 PM

Good on ya...Mick

Jo

slick_mick 04-08-16 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 370385)
What a splendid display. I have been going through them with pleasure as I have a few bits and pieces of Australian items, various periods, and these albums will certainly add to my knowledge.
A couple of questions concerning some QC badges, pics supplied:
1. 4th/19th POW LH. One is chrome, prong at back; the other is wm, 2 loops N & S. What is significance of the different metals? Is it a Time-frame difference?
2. 1st Armd RAAC. One is chrome, cast; the other is a light bronze, die-struck. Significance again please.

Will look for any other badges that require querying
GTB

The Whitemetal ones would just be earlier versions.

1) PWLH Lugged version was worn from 1948 to 1960 (and probably into the 1960s or 1970s depending on individual soldiers and stocks). The chrome one is probably from the 1970s or later.
2) 1AR - Do you have pics of the back? If its cast if could be a copy made by Christies. The other one is probably from the 1960s or 1970s.

Mick

GTB 05-08-16 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mick
Thanks for details given. Sorry, Pics of backs are out of focus. It has 2 chrome lugs.

This scan is very dark bz with what I call a 'vinyl-textured back' and has 2 small brass hairpins to fasten the loops. I have a note, 1st-9th R Australian Regt. Any details on this?

Thanks
GTB

slick_mick 06-08-16 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 370434)
Mick
Thanks for details given. Sorry, Pics of backs are out of focus. It has 2 chrome lugs.

This scan is very dark bz with what I call a 'vinyl-textured back' and has 2 small brass hairpins to fasten the loops. I have a note, 1st-9th R Australian Regt. Any details on this?

Thanks
GTB

The 1953 to 60 RAR badge looks a very funny colour.

I would expect it to be a brass colour. I guess the scan makes it darker?

Mick

badgecollector 07-08-16 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 370434)
Mick

Thanks
GTB

Hey gtb
The RAR badge looks cast, the wrong colour and could be a copy or a plaque badge. Doesn't look like anything that was/has been issued.
Bc

GTB 10-08-16 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mick & Bc

The badge is a chocolate colour.
It doesn't look cast but as if it has been struck from a perfectly flat flan (from the back). In fact, the back surface is perfectly flat with a mirror finish, having an overall design of minute, square hatchings, something similar to scan
GTB

slick_mick 10-08-16 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTB (Post 371215)
Thanks Mick & Bc

The badge is a chocolate colour.
It doesn't look cast but as if it has been struck from a perfectly flat flan (from the back). In fact, the back surface is perfectly flat with a mirror finish, having an overall design of minute, square hatchings, something similar to scan
GTB

From memory, I have seen early RAR badges (KC) that were darker in colour.

I guess it could be possible that the QC ones were made using the same metal?

Mick