British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Corps (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   RAA post-60 title style (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62142)

lettman 24-05-17 06:44 AM

RAA post-60 title style

2 Attachment(s)
I'm puzzled by the apparent British-style weave of the lettering on this one -- it doesn't conform to any other titles I have from this period. Can anyone shed any light on the manufacturing style and specific period post-1960, please?

Staffsyeoman 24-05-17 07:21 PM

Just an opinion - but the tangled spaghetti on the back and the rather weak letters in "Artillery" make me suspect that this may be a repro originating from the Indian sub-continent.

lettman 24-05-17 11:55 PM

I take your point, but why would anyone bother to fake a current title worth a few bucks?!

slick_mick 25-05-17 12:37 AM

Looks ok to me.

I'd just put it down to a manufacturing variation.

Mick

lettman 25-05-17 01:30 AM

Thanks, Mick. Taking a cue from Staffsyeoman's comment, is it possible that it might have been made overseas (Malaysia? Singapore?) for an RAA member serving there?

slick_mick 25-05-17 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettman (Post 406540)
Thanks, Mick. Taking a cue from Staffsyeoman's comment, is it possible that it might have been made overseas (Malaysia? Singapore?) for an RAA member serving there?

No i don't think so as I have seen other flashes in this style to other corps and units including units who never deployed overseas.

Mick

Staffsyeoman 25-05-17 05:55 AM

I stick to my view - these sub-continental fakers will make anything, and produce catalogues offering them for sale; rarity value is not an over-riding concern.

fairlie63 25-05-17 07:59 AM

I don't know if I have an RAA title with this style of embroidered letters but I definitely don't have one with that backing or messy weave on the back.

I do however have the MGO specifications for embroidered titles and my first thought on seeing this one was that it would not pass the quality assurance inspection.

Oz Ubique 30-05-17 07:58 AM

I have a couple with the gauze-like backing fabric, but the lettering is normal-sharp.

fairlie63 14-06-17 08:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I had a look through my titles, surprised at the differences to be honest.

While I have what appears to be one with the same stitching and poor word placement as the one in the first post of this thread, it does not have the same backing or weave to the rear.

Bottom one in the photo of five. Sorry for the poor close-up:o

lettman 14-06-17 08:28 AM

Cheers for this. I suspect that a proportion of titles were manufactured unofficially or to private order, probably in SE Asia as well as at home. A shufti by collectors through their gear might reveal all sorts of similar variations.

fearnaught 15-06-17 07:49 AM

Hi Fairlie63, the middle, of the five, has a merrowed edge. When did this style come into use? Thanks in advance Mike

fairlie63 15-06-17 08:14 AM

Hi Mike,
I'm not certain, I previously had a Monash University Regiment title in the same format and have seen others. If they were official I'm assuming they appeared in the latter stages of issue prior to 1996 when battledress was officially abolished. Happy to be corrected on that.
Keith