British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Die Another Day (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66069)

Jelly Terror 09-01-18 12:43 AM

Die Another Day

6 Attachment(s)
In a recent exchange with a forum friend, the subject of dies which were used to produce looped and slidered badges arose. The use of dies that might have lasted a good while would have extended across the change in fixings, traversing the loops/slider divide and even beyond.

One such example which illustrates this point is shown here. Although I am as yet unable to identify the maker of this badge, it can be seen that the die has been used from the Victorian/Edwardian period (example 'A'), through to the post-loops phase of construction (example 'B') and beyond, into the 1916 all-G/M phase (example 'C').

Attachment 183275Attachment 183276

Attachment 183277Attachment 183278

Attachment 183279Attachment 183280

It would be interesting to find a post-1916, bi-metal badge with overlaid scroll struck from this die, showing the imprint of lettering to the rear/brass section of the scroll, though there is no guarantee that this particular manufacturer produced such a badge.

Regards,

JT

Chipper 09-01-18 07:02 AM

As always, impressed, amazed and thankful for your excellent research JT

Cheers, Tim

KLR 09-01-18 10:52 AM

What an interesting idea ! I hope you can find / illustrate such a thing.

Incidentally, I have found a KLR (Patt 1896) die of the horse etc but with two different scrolls.

Jelly Terror 09-01-18 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper (Post 432579)
As always, impressed, amazed and thankful for your excellent research JT

Cheers, Tim

Thanks for your reply, Tim. The close scrutiny of these badges seems to be revealing more and more with each step.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLR (Post 432586)
What an interesting idea ! I hope you can find / illustrate such a thing.

Incidentally, I have found a KLR (Patt 1896) die of the horse etc but with two different scrolls.

Julian,

Do you literally mean the die itself, or badge from one die with two different scrolls?

Thanks again gents,

JT

KLR 09-01-18 07:06 PM

Yes, sorry - of course I meant 'two badges with the same (horse) die but with diffrent scrolls' - I wrote it in a hurry ! Badges that straddle different fixings and eg scrolls are a good indication of use over a period - though i don't know when KLR scroll designs were changed !!

Jelly Terror 10-01-18 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLR (Post 432644)
Yes, sorry - of course I meant 'two badges with the same (horse) die but with diffrent scrolls' - I wrote it in a hurry ! Badges that straddle different fixings and eg scrolls are a good indication of use over a period - though i don't know when KLR scroll designs were changed !!

Was there a specific reason for the change of scroll?

KLR 11-01-18 01:55 PM

No, just a minor difference in shape !
With two piece badges, I find that the KLR scrolls have far less variations than the horse part has !