British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Malaya / Borneo formation patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2810)

pieter 03-08-08 02:00 PM

Malaya / Borneo formation patches

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
I am trying to find out if the SAS wore any (special) formation patches during the emergency in Borneo (I believe 1962). Could somebody tell me?
During the Malayan emergency they wore the patches with kris (see pic for my variations on display). I am BTW still looking for other variations.
Cheers,
Pieter

dak580 03-08-08 05:14 PM

G’day Pieter

By chance I have just started watching at documentary on the SAS and it shows an original piece of film of an SAS officer wearing the kris shoulder flash.

John

Jibba Jabba 03-08-08 05:55 PM

Try the book "The Jungle Frontier" - Peter Dickens full of SAS photographs with out the censorship.

There is a group pic of 1 Troop 22nd and they wear no insignia on the shirt other than the wings on right arm above the stripes.

Of the pictures of the jungle patrols no insignia is being worn. Its what one would expect.

pieter 15-08-08 09:37 AM

thanks for replying guys!
Cheers,
Pieter

tynesideirish 15-08-08 06:43 PM

Just to confirm mate. NO divisional insignia was issued at ground level for the Borneo Campaign.

Nice display set up!
Mike

NEMO 20-06-09 01:04 PM

Hi very nice display of ` kris ` signs thanks for showing , i think this is a very underrated sign from a collector point of view , i presume because it post 1945 ,Pieter , with respect are you aware this sign was locally manufactured in wire bullion on cloth for that period ? its rare but does turn up now and again .
hope this helps ,regards,Nemo

JON188 24-06-09 08:45 PM

KRIS being worn

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
thought this pic of a D Sqn member may be of interest.
Guys face amended by me for obvious reasons as he is still alive.Dont think it affects the relevant detail.
Attachment 15148

Attachment 15149
Thought the FARELF with MALAYA underneath was also relevant.
regard
Jon

NEMO 25-06-09 12:40 AM

Superb ,thank you very much for showing ,Nemo.

saumua 26-06-09 10:02 AM

The ones with MALAYA underneath were private purchase ones not official. I have a nice bullion pair.

I concur with the Bornoe insignia thread. I have looked at NZSAS photos and no insignia was worn in country - only when they were in NZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JON188 (Post 41661)
Hi Guys
thought this pic of a D Sqn member may be of interest.
Guys face amended by me for obvious reasons as he is still alive.Dont think it affects the relevant detail.
Attachment 15148

Attachment 15149
Thought the FARELF with MALAYA underneath was also relevant.
regard
Jon

NEMO 04-07-09 05:48 PM

Further to the details already supplied i would like to add this ,

`at the Nee soon transit camp ,Singapore , in the early 1950`s a small village of shops and bars existed by the main gate.Several sold tailored uniforms of an exotic nature for purchase by men returning to the UK.
Super fine battledress lined with silk , all the current formation signs were available made from either silk or wire bullion many of the badges AND CLOTH SHOULDER TITLES were manufactured with the word MALAYA in the design `

( information supplied by Mike Chappell military author and illustrator )

I found this snippet very interesting , does any one have period photos that were taken in Malaya or as stated above were these badges and titles only worn on the trip back to the UK ? .
Would be very interested to here any ones opinions ,regards ,Nemo.

blackpowder44 04-07-09 07:26 PM

Malaya/Borneo

I think that the info. on troops returning from the Far East put up these Unofficial badges to impress the folks at home. These unofficial badges even turn up on Bosleys site and fetch good money RASC FARELF, R. Signals FARELF, etc.
Just recently on ebay a printed badge for the Border Scouts and a shoulder title have turned up. These struck a chord with me because at a show last year, having my badges on display, a man came up and looked at the SAS badges and said "You havnt got one I had in Borneo" He described it as a Toucan on a blue background. Turing a further chat it turned out he was ex SAS his wife confirmed this. Is there anyone here that can confirm this. John,

blackpowder44 04-07-09 07:29 PM

Malaya/Borneo

1 Attachment(s)
I think that the info. on troops returning from the Far East put up these Unofficial badges to impress the folks at home. These unofficial badges even turn up on Bosleys site and fetch good money RASC FARELF, R. Signals FARELF, etc.
Just recently on ebay a printed badge for the Border Scouts and a shoulder title have turned up. These struck a chord with me because at a show last year, having my badges on display, a man came up and looked at the SAS badges and said "You havnt got one I had in Borneo" He described it as a Toucan on a blue background. During a further chat it turned out he was ex SAS his wife confirmed this. Is there anyone here that can confirm this badge was unofficially worn by troops other than the Border Scouts themselves John,
p.s. top two badges left and right as an example of "Posh" badges, R.A. Malaya

saumua 04-07-09 07:48 PM

I have added some insignia to my album from a SAS man who served with the Border Scouts guys. Not mine but the best I have seen. Woth a visit.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=235

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpowder44 (Post 42241)
Just recently on ebay a printed badge for the Border Scouts and a shoulder title have turned up. These struck a chord with me because at a show last year, having my badges on display, a man came up and looked at the SAS badges and said "You havnt got one I had in Borneo" He described it as a Toucan on a blue background. During a further chat it turned out he was ex SAS his wife confirmed this. Is there anyone here that can confirm this badge was unofficially worn by troops other than the Border Scouts themselves John,
p.s. top two badges left and right as an example of "Posh" badges, R.A. Malaya

Peter Brydon 05-07-09 07:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The attached is from an article by Jim McDonald in Crown Imperial magazine of Spring 1993.

P.B.

saumua 05-07-09 07:49 AM

so did they wear a Malaya Police Cap Badge?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thfoot (Post 42271)
The attached is from an article by Jim McDonald in Crown Imperial magazine of Spring 1993.

P.B.