British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   UVF BERET BADGE GOOD OR BAD (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8024)

RMR 26-10-09 04:27 PM

UVF BERET BADGE GOOD OR BAD

2 Attachment(s)
Hi i'm not sure which forum this should be on,a para gave me this badge years ago and I never thought anything of it,kept it in my spares box now I see a couple on lew shottons site and wonder is this genuine have they been restruck is their a market for them as it's not my interest,Thanks Roger

Faugh-A-Ballagh 26-10-09 05:00 PM

This would be a modern day badge for the loyalist paramilitary organistion in Northern Ireland. Possibly worm by a sympathetic / sponsored flute band or even UVF members or colour parties on certain occasions.
The badges shown on Lew Shotton's website are old lapel badges for the pre WW1 organisation which was to become the nucleus of the 36th Ulster Division. Initially the 36th wore a badge similar to this known as the "dixie" badge. It was an oval with the red hand of Ulster, but no writing, before reverting to their own regimental badges.
This badge is collectable and of interest, but not connected to the army. Probably picked up during a tour of duty.

John

tynesideirish 26-10-09 05:00 PM

This is a really for the bin badge. The originals from Pre WW1, which this is a loose copy of, had sharp prongs that penetrated the hat and then where bent closed.

With the lugs It isn't even the pattern worn by the latterday UVF, during the 70's in the odd occasion uniform was worn in publicity shots or at funerals.

Could at a push be a fundraising badge. Which where on sale in Combat* or Ulster* Magazine or similar, through out the 80's.

In other words just Junk really.

* I may be getting my UVF & UDA mags mixed up! You wouldn't be buying UVF insignia from a UDA mag now would you!

Faugh-A-Ballagh 26-10-09 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tynesideirish (Post 50349)
This is a really for the bin badge. The originals from Pre WW1, which this is a loose copy of, had sharp prongs that penetrated the hat and then where bent closed.

With the lugs It isn't even the pattern worn by the latterday UVF, during the 70's in the odd occasion uniform was worn in publicity shots or at funerals.

Could at a push be a fundraising badge. Which where on sale in Combat* or Ulster* Magazine or similar, through out the 80's.

In other words just Junk really.

* I may be getting my UVF & UDA mags mixed up! You wouldn't be buying UVF insignia from a UDA mag now would you!

I don't think there is much love between "wombles" and "blacknecks"

Paddy 26-10-09 05:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Roger

Have to agree with the comments so far. A much copied badge of the UVF which was often found on sale at band parade stalls not so long ago. I have attached pictures of the front and back of the UVF lapel badge and the 36th Ulster Division (Dixie badge). These are both genuine badges with the only exception being that I had the 36th badge re-lugged. The UVF lapel badges should have a member's number on the rear, letter (denoting area/district) and number below. Dixie badge is marked Sharman D Niell LTD, Belfast.

Paddy

lancashirefusilier 27-10-09 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Roger

Please find attached a photo from the Times newspaper which was released during 2007.
It clearly shows your badge on the belt buckle.
Although I agree with my fellow members I personally would not bin it because for me it is a political item and in the future all tat from this conflict will be highly collectable.
However I don't know if the photo is stage managed.
Cheers
Dave

wavy 28-03-12 03:25 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2307669222...=p5197.c0.m619

I take it this is the same Non genuine badge?

Faugh-A-Ballagh 28-03-12 04:30 PM

Yep,
It's the same.

lionel 28-03-12 07:48 PM

i have a badge similar to the one in the first post but with red white and blue enamel , have never seen another one like it ! must dig it out and post it

wavy 29-03-12 02:25 PM

ive seen pictures of a red white and blue one, wasnt sure if it was from 1913 UVF or 1970s,