British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   ROYAL SIGNALS (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61998)

engr9266 18-05-17 06:37 AM

ROYAL SIGNALS

4 Attachment(s)
I have recently brought this R Sigs bullion badge. Can one of our Signals experts date it for me please?

Alan O 18-05-17 07:24 AM

Any time up to 2006 when Brigadier Ted Flint, the SOinC at the time, changed the design to a standard sized Jimmy with a coloured globe and wreath.

Chris Walker 18-05-17 02:40 PM

Signals Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Dear Jerry.

As you are well aware just about all Officer's Bullion Beret Badges were bespoke items made by a tailor who made the item. Not mass production.

Now the badge you show is post 1946 as it has Laurel Leaves on the side of the Globe at the bottom. It is in my opinion a St Edwards Crown (Queens Crown) so post 1954.

Now to stick my neck out Jerry. I have attached a photo of an Officer's Cap FS with a known date of 1968 made by Moss Bros of Covent Garden. Not the best photo I must admit. However it really is of a more modern design in style to your photo of a Bullion Badge

The Caduceus (Staff) is similar and the Petasus (Cloth Cap Jimmy is wearing) is of a similar design.

Just to throw a further piece of intrigue at You Jerry. I haver also added a pre 1946 Officer's Bullion Badge with a Tudor Crown (Kings Crown) and the Caduceus and the Petasus are even more like your Bullion badge. Possibly the same tailor. What do you think.

Hope this helps Jerry. Only sorry I can not put an exact date on it.

Best wishes

Chris

If I were to be held to a time scale Jerry I think you must be looking between 1954 and 1967.

As Alan O quite rightly says Brig. Ted Flint the SOinC made the ruling of Officers Bullion/Wire Woven badges in 2006 all to be the same size.

JON188 18-05-17 06:13 PM

Where's the globe on your bullion jimmy on tartan Chris?

engr9266 19-05-17 09:26 AM

Chris, thanks for information on the badge. Sorry for late reply this was due to access problems but now resolved.
Jerry.

Chris Walker 19-05-17 10:12 AM

Signals Badge

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Jon188

I hope I have attached the correct photo Jon188.

Bullion Badge on 32 Signal Regiment (Grant Tartan) is below.

Globe seems to be in the correct place below the scroll.

Best wishes

Chris

Phil2M 19-05-17 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe Jon is referring to this badge, which does appear to be missing a globe.

Phil

Chris Walker 19-05-17 05:41 PM

royal signals

Dear Phil and Jon188

Phil the badge you show is the Pre 1946 version of the Signals badge.(As I showed as an example) There were no globes prior to this date. That is why I showed this badge purely to show the Petasus and Caduceus being very similar to the post 1946 badge that Jerry shows with a Globe and Laurel leaves as required in the dress regs post 1946.

What I am a little mystified to is what is Jon188 asking about the Tartan in his question?? That is why I came back with the 32 Sigs badge on a Grant Tartan.

Just a little miss understanding I think but perhaps you could explain it to me.

Kind regards

Chris

MarkGD 14-06-17 11:39 AM

Officers Cap Badge

Jerry,
I think this is 1980-1990, Light Blue behind the scroll. A recollection of a 'new' purchase many years ago. Years later i went to purchase another but they had gone to a more 'neater' Jimmy with a darker blue behind the scroll.
Regards Mark

engr9266 14-06-17 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGD (Post 409003)
Jerry,
I think this is 1980-1990, Light Blue behind the scroll. A recollection of a 'new' purchase many years ago. Years later i went to purchase another but they had gone to a more 'neater' Jimmy with a darker blue behind the scroll.
Regards Mark

Mark, thanks for your reply which is noted.

Jerry.