British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   New TRF for RLC & RE EOD Trng (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30601)

ianh67military 07-03-13 05:50 PM

New TRF for RLC & RE EOD Trng

To translate, there is a new badge for Royal Logistic Corps and Royal Engineer units training in Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

Called the DEMS Trng Regt, it is a standing figure of St George on foot, in silver grey, with a lance, fighting a yellow dragon on a green background. It's worn on the left sleeve on the MTP uniform.

Quantity 500 were made and issued VERY recently, 2 per person. A second production run is being organised. The PRI does NOT have any spare, nor was I able to pester one off the staff.

Grateful if any ATs or ATOs could get me 1!

A picture will hopefully follow, as soon as I can get it off the phone I was able to get a shot of it on (may take a while) edit: see post #8 below For Mike's pic.

Ian H

ianh67military 07-03-13 06:41 PM

From Wiki:
Defence Explosive Ordnance Disposal Munitions Search Training Regiment (DEMS Trg Regt). DEMS Trg Regt has its Headquarters (HQ) at St George's Barracks Bicester. The Kineton part of DEMS Trg Regt remains the MoD's main training school for Ammunition Technicians and Ammunition Technical Officers of the Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) in the British Army. The school is located at MoD Kineton at Temple Herdewyke near Kineton, Warwickshire, England. Post Code CV47 2UL. DEMS Trg Regt is under command of the Royal School of Military Engineering (RSME) whose HQ is located in Chatham, Kent, UK.

So, the RLC Bomb Disposal training, coming under control of the Sappers? Not sure how that will pan out.

Ian H

Mike Jackson 07-03-13 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Strange to see the abbreviation DEMS back after a 68 year absence!
Attachment 78988
(Not to be taken seriously)

fez 07-03-13 07:36 PM

I saw these a couple of weeks ago, as you say, no one has any spares yet
:-(

54Bty 07-03-13 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianh67military (Post 203948)
It's worn on the left sleeve on the MTP uniform.
Ian H

Are you sure it is the left sleeve, as that would make it a Formation badge, not a TRF?

Marc :)

fez 07-03-13 08:10 PM

I thought the guys at work had them on the right arm, i will have a look again tomorrow

ianh67military 07-03-13 09:05 PM

Had the RLC TRF on the right arm, plus either AT or ATO, and were wearing the new badge on the left sleeve, all on MTP. Seen at ASA.

Regarding DEMS, I thought it meant Demolition, but then noticed that the unit signs had 'DEMS' in capitals and 'Trng Regt' with only the first letter as a capital. Had to Google what DEMS stood for and posted it here.

Marc - you are right, it's technically a 'formation patch', but the people I spoke to just called it the new TRF. They're probably more worried about pressure plates and EFPs though.

Ian H

Mike_2817 07-03-13 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go, its on the Left Arm under the Union Jack, and is indeed a Formation Sign for all the Permanent Staff within DEMS but not the Students.

The RE & RLC Personel still wear thier own TRF's

Kineton is also still home to the IEDD training and all C-IED Operators still attend the Felix Centre at Kineton.

It is based on a RAOC EOD Centre Piece hald at Kineton Sargeants Mess & Deepcut Officers Mess, and smaller copies at Kineton Officers Mess and at 11 EOD Regt.

As already stated, they are like hens teath at the moment.

ianh67military 07-03-13 09:23 PM

Mike,
thanks for the photos.
Of course, that's what the unidentifiable piece of Regimental silver was in the Mess - it all makes sense now. I was too busy looking at the 'operator' statue and the chap climbing up from what looked like a RIB.

Ian H

Mike_2817 07-03-13 09:37 PM

Oh yes, there is some nice Regimental Silver at Kineton, more so in the Sergeants Mess. The statue is based on the saying 'Feeling the breath of the Dragon' by ATO's in Northern Ireland.

ianh67military 07-03-13 09:52 PM

I must admit I was very impressed with the knowledge of Regimental History by the individuals I met. I had the RAOC motto translated for me, and the fact that that the badge represents the individuals (Amm Tech or ATO, who operate very alone at critical moments) fight against the dragon representing evil.

one of the (slightly deranged) civilian types I met was muttering about Dragons being a protected species, had there been a health & safety assessment of the lance and was the helmet to the correct EU standard!

Ian H

54Bty 08-03-13 11:11 AM

Thank you one and all.

Marc

Old Smelly 08-03-13 11:27 AM

DEMS

Defence Explosive Ordnance Disposal Munitions Search Training Regiment (DEMS Trg Regt)

How does that get translated to DEMS?

Lee

Mike_2817 08-03-13 11:37 AM

Used to be DEMSS (last S for School)

Defense EOD, Munitions & Search is the acronym for the new joint discipline

Patch is known as the DEMS Warrior within the Regiment.

Mike_2817 12-03-13 09:45 PM

New set of 'Training Staff' challenge coins depicting the four training wings at DEMS Trg Regt
All four coins plus CO's special have the DEMS Warrior on other side.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89799053_n.jpg

CMD Wing = Conventional Munitions Disposal Wing
Search Wing = EOD Search
IEDD Wing = Improvised Explosives Devices Wing
Munitions Wing = Conventional Munitions Training Wing