British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Emmanuel School OTC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15216)

Keith Blakeman 09-03-11 11:47 AM

Emanuel School OTC

If anyone has a cap or collar would they be kind enough to measure it for me. I have a badge which is 35mm wide x 33mm high, bought as a collar but it appears a bit on the big side.
Many thanks.

2747andy 09-03-11 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keith,
35 mm (N-S) x 31 mm (E-W)..

I'm sure mine is a cap badge.

Keith Blakeman 09-03-11 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 103803)
Keith,
35 mm (N-S) x 31 mm (E-W)..

I'm sure mine is a cap badge.

Thanks Andy,

That's the one in KK? Mine is completely different, nickel with a portcullis on a torse with a small rose at the top. This is the same as the emblem on the gates of the current school in Wandsworth which I went past yesterday. Mine probably is a collar then or possibly a later CCF badge.

Sonofacqms 09-03-11 05:33 PM

Emmanuel School OTC

By a strange coincidence I bought a similar badge in gold gilt with a brooch fitting. I do have one like the one Keith described with loops.

I put mine down as a sweetheart brooch, although I have never really encountered sweethearts to the OTC, do they exist?

Forum members views would be appreciated.

Rob

Postwarden 10-03-11 09:41 AM

Emanuel OTC

As an ex-member of the Emanuel CCF (please note one M) I can confirm that in the early 1960s the CCF collar badge was simply a portcullis with a rose above as worn on the school blazer pocket - in white metal for officers and brass for cadets. I have some photos somewhereof the OTC in the 1930s and if I can find them I'll check what was being worn on the collars.

Postwarden

Keith Blakeman 10-03-11 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 103990)
As an ex-member of the Emanuel CCF (please note one M) I can confirm that in the early 1960s the CCF collar badge was simply a portcullis with a rose above as worn on the school blazer pocket - in white metal for officers and brass for cadets. I have some photos somewhereof the OTC in the 1930s and if I can find them I'll check what was being worn on the collars.

Postwarden

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll post a picture as soon as I have it. Apologies for the misspelling of the name, I ought to know better. We used to play Emanuel at football and cricket.

Alan O 13-10-14 02:14 PM

The officers certainly wore a Portcullis style badge pre WW1.

Pre 1908 the school cadet corps was part of the Queen's Westminster regt until it became an OTC.

Bosleys had this one:

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...2/lot-20856161

It's not the OTC but the school cap badge.

Keith Blakeman 13-10-14 02:55 PM

Old Emanuel School was just around the corner from the QWR HQ. The officer standing in the photo is wearing a QWR badge in his hat and as you say the others are wearing a portculis in theirs, one point to note that its not unknown for the QWR to have worn their collar badge, likewise a portcullis (crowned) in the headress.

Alan O 13-10-14 03:13 PM

I believe the standing officer pre-dates 1908 and is of the Cadet Corps rather than the OTC.

manchesters 13-10-14 03:50 PM

Alan,
The photo is dated 1911?

regards

Keith Blakeman 13-10-14 04:47 PM

Officer standing wears a QWR badge, possibly the RV, possibly 16th London, impossible to tell the difference as they were essentially the same badge, only the circle bearing different wording. The officer seated left has a QWR/16th London collar badge (no difference) in his peaked cap and the officer on the right is Royal Engineers.

Alan O 13-10-14 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 281355)
Alan,
The photo is dated 1911?

regards

Sorry should have been clearer I think he is still wearing the pre-1908 uniform of the QWR cadets.

Jelly Terror 10-01-16 08:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The photo linked to in post #7, includes Lt. G. Burnett (seated viewer's left) in 1911. I have a photo of this man as a 2nd lieutenant (pre-dating the Emanuel School website photo) wearing the portcullis cap badge and 'OTC' collars.

Attachment 139144Attachment 139145Attachment 139146

Regards to all.

[Sincere thanks to Wilf (ORASOT) for initially identifying Burnett from my photograph].

Jelly Terror 10-01-16 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 338850)
Very Strange!!!

Despite the OTC insignia to the collars, this young Gentleman appears to be wearing what looks more like a Queen's Westminster Rifles FSC badge?

Andy

Absolutely.

Certainly does not appear to be the Emanuel badge.

Alan O 11-01-16 07:13 AM

Andy

I believe that pre 1908 and the founding of the OTCs the school's cadet corps was affiliated to the QWR hence the use of their design.

http://www.emanuelalumni.org.uk/alum...old-ryley-page

The head is wearing the full sized QWR badge.