British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   43rd Wessex Division (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6826)

REME245 09-07-09 06:59 AM

43rd Wessex Division

1 Attachment(s)
In Jon Mills article in the current edition of the Armourer Magazine he uses one of these Wyverns as an example of a WW2 Formation sign.

I had always assumed this particular version to be a crude reproduction or am I wrong?

Luc 17-08-09 05:57 PM

It is not a nicely made badge, it could very well be a replica.

crest-insignia 17-08-09 06:17 PM

That is the right representation, but as Luc says, that particular example is almost certainly a replica.

T.

Luc 17-08-09 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I recieved this one recently, I believe it to be original.

REME245 18-08-09 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its slightly different to the normal pattern but I would still say original.

The one to watch out as all the repro badge manufacturers make it is this pattern. Although originals do exist I believe it to be a post-war pattern. If anyone can disprove this please say.

badjez 19-08-09 01:25 PM

43 Wesex Div

5 Attachment(s)
Please find attached pictures of examples I own:
1) Printed version still attached to karhki BD shoulder with embroidered REME title. This could be late war or 1950's.
2) Close up of printed version.
3) Embroidered version.
4) Pair of woven examples on silk. Worn in the late 1960's by HQ 43 (Wx) Div/District.
5) A variation of the embroidered Wyvern but with red feet/claws. As yet unidentified.

Hope this is of interest. Stephen.

REME245 20-08-09 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your badge with the red claws/feet is a printed badge which has been over-embroidered.

These are not uncommon and come in lots of different variations as it was a cottage industry making them (see picture below)

REME245 21-08-09 01:38 PM

Another horrible reproduction.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-43rd-D...d=p3286.c0.m14

blackpowder44 21-08-09 06:45 PM

43ed. Wessex.

I am pretty sure in saying that the famous Wessex Wyvern only faces one way,to the left as you look at it. Unlike many formations that are seen as a facing pair. John.

Luc 21-08-09 07:31 PM

Good point, I believe that is true for more heraldry related insignia.

REME245 23-08-09 08:30 AM

The example facing right in my picture is original so a few unoffical badges did make it into production.

badjez 23-08-09 06:34 PM

43 Wessex Div

Hi,
The Wessex with embroidered claws I featured is one of a pair- both facing the same direction. If this 'adaption' was a wartime feature it would indicate that Ordnance may not have been issuing facing pairs consitently.

The PRO file relating to the woven Div/Dist sign indicates it only came facing the one direction. This was because FS were only worn on the left arm of battledress post-war.

Regards, Stephen.

blackpowder44 23-08-09 08:14 PM

43rd. Wessex

Quote:

Originally Posted by REME245 (Post 45173)
The example facing right in my picture is original so a few unoffical badges did make it into production.

I wouldnt think so. No order would have been placed for an badge that was totally improper in heraldic terms. John

REME245 24-08-09 06:58 AM

No offical order but obviously one of the vast range of unoffical badges produced privately for sale to soldiers during WW2.

blackpowder44 24-08-09 12:51 PM

Wessex Wyvern

4 Attachment(s)
Pictures of some Wessex Wyverns. I have been asking fellow members of the Military Heraldry Society whether the Wyvern was ever worn as a facing pair and all say never. Totally incorrect and never issued or worn, that is good enough for me. John.
You will see that the City of Bristol Wyvern is a post war silk version, also the differences , especially the tongue on all four