British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Ghurka sign (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8773)

boots and saddles 30-12-09 08:58 PM

Ghurka sign

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the the same as the one on a square patch called the 63rd ghurka Brigade?

54Bty 30-12-09 09:23 PM

It is the dress distinction for the 14th/20th King's Hussars, awarded for service with the 43rd Lorried Gurkha Brigade in Italy during WWII. Continues to be worn by the current King's Royal Hussars.

http://www.krh.me.uk/

boots and saddles 31-12-09 12:10 AM

Thanks 54th, So it is not a formation patch as such, and just for the Regiment, The square one is for the 43rd. right?

Bala 04-01-10 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots and saddles (Post 55565)
Is this the the same as the one on a square patch called the 63rd ghurka Brigade?

I served with 63 Gurkha Brigade in Malaya and wore a cloth patch - white crossed kukris on a green background. It was only later that I realized I was in fact wearing the '17 Gurkha Division' patch, which had 63 Bde under command. :mad:

signalman 04-01-10 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the post war three i have, im not to sure of the brigades,but im sure i shall be enlightened,Bala i think yours is in the mix .Phil.

Gurkha 04-01-10 09:57 PM

Hi,
From left to right, 48th, 63rd, brigades, 17th Division. the one missing is white kukri's on a brown background which is 99th brigade. All post war.
Regards Steve

grey_green_acorn 04-01-10 10:00 PM

99 Gurkha Brigade

1 Attachment(s)
To complete the set 99 Gurkha Brigade, printed.

signalman 05-01-10 09:09 AM

Thanks Steve GGA, i should really get a 99 Bde to complete the set are they quite common?. Regards Phil.

Arthur 257 05-01-10 11:02 AM

Re Gurkha Signs

There was also 26 Gurkha Bde based in Johore Bahru, however I believe that they did not have a Bde Patch, can anyone tell me if this was correct.

Arthur 257

Mike_2817 05-01-10 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a Brigade Patch, But worn by todays 'British Ghurka's' as a TRF

Black on Green with a Black on Sand version for Afgainistan

sailorbear 05-01-10 01:19 PM

Gurkha Sign

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, Interesting thread, thought theses might be of interest! The Kings Royal Hussars cap badge and shoulder title with the crossed kukris worn as collar badges, next pic is the small Hussars eagle worn on the arm by the Gurkhas, not sure which regment, though the 6th GR comes to mind?

Regards Tony

sailorbear 05-01-10 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurkha (Post 56006)
Hi,
From left to right, 48th, 63rd, brigades, 17th Division. the one missing is white kukri's on a brown background which is 99th brigade. All post war.
Regards Steve

Hi, any chance you can identify the patches in my little collection?

Regards Tony

grey_green_acorn 05-01-10 01:41 PM

I think the crossed kukris are worn near the top of both shoulders on No 2 Dress Jackets. This honour being carried forward to the King's Royal Hussars from the 14/20th Hussars. KRH collar badges are the Prince of Wales Plumes over scroll Ich Dien.

The shoulder title should be "KRH" the ROYAL HUSSAR title pictured is from The Royal Hussars who combined with the 14/20H to form the King's Royal Hussars.

grey_green_acorn 05-01-10 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The black crossed kukris on red could be a last pattern 48 Gurkha Brigade formation badge worn in Hong Kong but a very similar sign with merrowed edges (left hand picture) is worn by 28 (Army Cooperation) Squadron Royal Air Force based at RAF Benson in Oxfordshire and operating the Merlin Helicopter.

sailorbear 05-01-10 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 56047)
I think the crossed kukris are worn near the top of both shoulders on No 2 Dress Jackets. This honour being carried forward to the King's Royal Hussars from the 14/20th Hussars. KRH collar badges are the Prince of Wales Plumes over scroll Ich Dien.

The shoulder title should be "KRH" the ROYAL HUSSAR title pictured is from The Royal Hussars who combined with the 14/20H to form the King's Royal Hussars.

You are absolutely right the crossed kukri badges are worn on the upper arm near the shoulder on the No 2 tunic! glad to be corrected!

Regards Tony