British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schools, OTC and Cadets (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Manchester Grammar School ? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35388)

Peter Brydon 21-10-13 01:22 PM

Manchester Grammar School ?

2 Attachment(s)
Picked this badge up this morning ,it was described as a Manchester Grammar School badge circa 1918.

Cox says "......in gilding metal and white metal. Initially the Corps badge was the owl only "

This badge has small holes top and bottom for sewing on and someone has soldered a pin fitting on the back which could easily be removed.

Can anyone please say if I have an OTC cap or collar badge or something else

Thanks

P.B.

Peter Brydon 21-10-13 01:50 PM

Will answer my own question after a bit of research, similar badge offered by Bosleys in their 20/10/10 Postal Auction ( thought I had seen one somewhere ). The Description was:

Manchester Grammar School Scarce white metal cap badge Die stamped owl on branch, Small holes for sewing on VGC (£20-£40 )

Unfortunately mine is missing a small piece of branch and a leaf.

Can anyone please tell me what this one sold for.

Thanks

P.B.

dubaiguy 21-10-13 03:21 PM

Peter
£75
Dubaiguy

Peter Brydon 21-10-13 03:30 PM

Dubaiguy,

Thank you very much for that.

Regards

Peter

Alan O 14-06-14 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As yet I can find no evidence to back up Bosley's description as a school OTC badge. It may have been for the school cap as such methods of fixing are quite often found on school hats but not military ones.

The school certainly wore owl badges in their school caps.

This is an account of a Manchester Grammar School boy with a metal badge in his school cap. Cox's book is wide ranging and has a few errors in it.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C...0badge&f=false

manchesters 14-06-14 10:56 AM

Peter,

This badge has always been described as one version of the MGS OTC cap badge.

I have only ever seen it worn on school caps and NEVER as an OTC badge.
It is my opinion that this was never worn by the OTC.

Ebay regularly has for sale a series of cigarette cards of school caps and MGS is Dark blue with 2 light blue rings and this badge is clearly seen sewn onto the front.

They can be picked up on ebay for £25

The GM badge withouter ring and loops is the only OTC badge.

regards

Peter Brydon 14-06-14 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Simon,

It looks like you have confirmed Alans thoughts.

Peter

If I can go off at a tangent, I was never in my schools cadets, they finished the year after I joined the school, nevertheless I have managed to get hold of a photo of the unit some time ago, they were affiliated to the local T.A. R.A. unit and badged R.A.

When looking at the picture again recently ( see attached ) the cadet immediately behind the middle and right hand officer is wearing what is either a NCO`s sash or a colour belt with the school badge on it. I wonder if anyone
has come across anything similar ?

P.B.

manchesters 14-06-14 12:11 PM

Peter,

Never seen one before.
Possibly Duty Cadet for the day?

regards

Silver Tourist 14-06-14 01:25 PM

Cox's errors

Good afternoon.

Cox has a few errors? You can say that again. No-one, and I do mean no-one should rely on Cox. You do so at your peril.

It has its uses, but frankly use it for guidance only. And then treat it with extreme caution. Hugh sections of the badges were not even his, but from were the Collections of other Collectors. The Indian Section being a case in point.

A few errors? Too right.

Enjoy and proceed with caution.

Enjoy.

S.T.

PS. I can offer the MGS OTC badge in hallmarked silver!

manchesters 14-06-14 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Tourist (Post 266175)
Good afternoon.

Cox has a few errors? You can say that again. No-one, and I do mean no-one should rely on Cox. You do so at your peril.

It has its uses, but frankly use it for guidance only. And then treat it with extreme caution. Hugh sections of the badges were not even his, but from were the Collections of other Collectors. The Indian Section being a case in point.

A few errors? Too right.

Enjoy and proceed with caution.

Enjoy.

S.T.

PS. I can offer the MGS OTC badge in hallmarked silver!

S.T.

Do you mean the other one, the Owl in the circle, thats normally GM?

What date is it please?

regards

Mike_2817 21-01-16 08:50 PM

Yep, A 'School Cap' badge

http://www.culture24.org.uk/asset_ar.../v0_master.jpg

Latter versions had it embroidered on

Pembird 08-09-20 07:22 PM

Manchester GS cap badge

2 Attachment(s)
Does any member know how this owl is worn? I presume it is stitched onto a garment by the two holes in the badge.

manchesters 08-09-20 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Firstly its not a military badge.

It is the school badge of Manchester Grammar School worn on the school cap in conjunction with the school blazer. It was sewn on.

The other badge is the correct OTC cap badge.

I have a picture of it which is in a word document which I will try and attach but not sure if it will.

regards

Wooffy 08-09-20 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've taken the liberty of copying the image from the word document and adding it here as a JPEG for ease of access and reference.

leigh kitchen 08-09-20 09:46 PM

I have the card for my old school from that series, stuck in a frame on the mantel piece, don't know why really.