British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Canadian service number? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62007)

Burton 18-05-17 08:21 PM

Canadian service number?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,
Does this look like a Canadian service number? It is located behind the pocket in a 1943 Canadian battledress that I'm not sure about, and I'd like to know whether the number matches the badging.

It looks to my eye to be P 8369 ? or P 8869 ?
I understand P to be permanent force units, but the number block doesn't fit the lists I've seen online.

Thoughts?

Bill A 18-05-17 08:32 PM

Not sure that is a P. And any idea what the last number is?

Burton 18-05-17 08:41 PM

Hi Bill,
I thought P was more likely than any of the other options, but of course I'm not sure. As for the last digit, I'm not sure whether it's a number or just a solid block. If it's a number, I'd say it's most likely another 8 or 9.

fougasse1940 18-05-17 08:46 PM

Last number looks like a 5 to me. The 'P' is too indistinct. Could also be an F or a 7.

Rgds, Thomas.

Burton 18-05-17 08:55 PM

Thanks Thomas,
I agree about the P, it could just as easily be an F. I'd hoped it was a letter, as that would make it potentially a Canadian service number. The last digit I don't think is a 5 however. The stamp has been pressed too hard and the square edges of it are shown - I think that makes it look like a 5, but is perhaps misleading. The number is whatever is in the middle, and the white bits suggest something like an 8 to me.
Cheers,
Burton

fougasse1940 18-05-17 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have a look.

Rgds, Thomas.

Burton 18-05-17 09:38 PM

Hey, that's brilliant! I'm convinced by the F. I still can't decide on the last one though. So F would be Nova Scotia... which doesn't have any number blocks in starting with 8. :-(

Bill A 18-05-17 09:42 PM

Not sure what source you are using Burton. The F series was alloted to Military District #6. The actual 88xxx falls in the block alloted to MD 6 District Depot.

Burton 18-05-17 09:50 PM

So, the other badging suggests an old timer.
- 5 service chevrons including silver.
- Wound stripe including red felt underlay (previous war/WW1?)
- Calgary Highlander badging w. stitching for previous, similarly shaped badges, (previous unit perhaps?) and missing sergeants stripes.

I'm not certain that any of this this is original, but I'm curious if the service number could match the badging.

Burton 18-05-17 09:55 PM

Hi Bill,
I was using a couple of online lists, that both had it as MD6, but neither had a number block that went as high as 88xxx.

Ok, so that's good if the letter and number block are consistent I guess...

fougasse1940 18-05-17 10:50 PM

Burton, some pics of the BD might perhaps be helpful?

Rgds, Thomas.

Bill A 18-05-17 11:46 PM

That badging is a bit of a red herring. Up until about 1943, most recruiting was done by regiment, but after that date the recruits were put into Canadian Infantry Corps training centers that did not have a particular regimental affiliation. From there they could end up in any infantry regiment. It is incorrect to assume certain numbers were directed to the same regional regiments.

Burton 18-05-17 11:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here you go.
I've looked closer at the earlier badging and there was a smallish shield with a curving badge over it, just below each shoulder seam. So I think it likely that it was a 21st Army group badge with a curved Canada strip. The service chevrons are machine stitched with the same thread as the missing badges, so I think they're original, but the rest are affixed with hand stitched black thread. Also, the badges aren't bedded very well on the blouse. So I am close to concluding it's a recent job. :-(

It did come with a few other Highlanders items which probably swayed me.

Bill A 19-05-17 12:07 AM

The badges are the felt starch back pattern. Both the shoulder title and division patch.

Burton 19-05-17 12:25 AM

Thanks Bill,
Is that what the papery backing on the divisional badge is? It is different from the shoulder title backing (from the little I can see).

What is the significance of that?