British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Foreign Badges and Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Two overseas patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68280)

Badger44 04-06-18 01:47 PM

Two overseas patches

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify these two patches for me please?
The double headed eagle is plastic on felt so could be Spanish or Italian.
The 'tiger head' one could be from the Far East, although if it is a tiger's head, it is very amateurishly done. It is embroidered on twill.
thanks in anticipation.

Luke H 04-06-18 02:55 PM

Isn’t a black double headed eagle on red background the Albanian coat of arms. So possibly Albanian?

As for the other patch you may need an expert in cryptozoology to identify that animal but it appears to have colours of Romanian flag in that diagonal line. So Romanian perhaps?

Hopefully someone will know for definite.

leigh kitchen 04-06-18 05:29 PM

Kosovan eagle?

Badger44 04-06-18 06:24 PM

Thanks for your replies and for your suggestions. A friend of mine has also suggested Albania for the eagle one, so I'll try to investigate that a little more.
I agree that the 'tigers head' is more like a child's interpretation, but thanks for the info that the colours behind it look like Romanian. Again, I will try to seek in that direction.

leigh kitchen 05-06-18 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No help in identifying the double headed eagle badge but I thought I'd post this as I have it to hand refiling WWII insignia - the arm shield of the "21. SS Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS Skanderbeg (albanische Nr. 1)", a formation which would appear to be notable for its crime and desertion levels rather than martial prowess.

Badger44 05-06-18 04:03 PM

Looking at the above, it certainly seems to be an Albanian eagle, but is it military, and if so, what?
Thanks for the input.

Tonomachi 06-06-18 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Your second patch is a copy of a South Vietnamese made beret flash for the CIDG (Civilian Irregular Defense Group) Tay Ninh Province. These flashes are heavily faked and the originals are sought after. The originals were hand embroidered pictured below.

Attachment 189575

Attachment 189576

Badger44 22-06-18 06:48 PM

A rather belated thank you for your comments, Tonomachi. Thanks also for the scan of the actual badge. Mine is certainly a poor reproduction, as can be seen when the two are compared. I shall keep mine as a sure example of a bad reproduction patch.

NorBn 22-06-18 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My own patch identified as Albanian National Insignia (made in Afghanistan in 2011)

Badger44 22-06-18 09:26 PM

Many thanks for posting the copy of your patch made in Afghanistan in 2011. That certainly seems to be the same as mine, so I shall assume that it is/was worn by Albanian Troops serving outside their own country.

NorBn 24-06-18 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally found a picture of Albanian troops in Afghanistan. National insignia looks like the one you have.

Mike B 24-06-18 09:18 PM

Impressive team work by Forum members
Mike