British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   60 DIVISION - SALONIKA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53285)

talos 25-04-16 01:38 PM

60 DIVISION - SALONIKA

Hi All

Can any of the forum members tell me please if the 60 Division while serving in Salonika adopted a coloured strip on the shoulder strap in accordance with the other divisions serving in that theatre before the adoption of the bee emblem?

Regards

Kendo

orasot 25-04-16 09:46 PM

Hi Kendo,
I can tell you that the 2/16th London Battalion (Queen's Westminster Rifles) wore 2 inch X half inch green & white cotton strips across their shoulder straps (sic) whilst with 60th Div in Salonika, the document I saw also stated this was worn in conjunction with the white of 60th Div while in the BSF so it may mean all 60th Div wore white with different battalions wearing different colours, I can have a look for others if it helps,
Regards,
Wilf.

orasot 25-04-16 10:09 PM

Kendo,
I just looked through the rest of the battalions and the only other strap listed was for the 2/24th who wore a mid green & white worsted tape 3&3/4 inches x half inch on crash backing (?) the rest only mention coloured triangles worn on the back of tunics, hope this helps,
Wilf.

talos 26-04-16 01:54 PM

60 DIVISION - SALONIKA

Hi Wilf

Thank you for your informative replies.

So as I read it the 60 Division wore either a white or white/green strip as a divisional insignia on the shoulder straps like the other divisions in Salonika.

I would be interested to learn more about the insignia the battalions wore on their backs, if you have that info to hand.

Regards

Kendo

orasot 28-04-16 06:47 PM

I will sort it for you at the weekend Kendo,
Wilf.

talos 29-04-16 05:30 PM

60 DIVISION

Hi Wilf

Thank you

Regards

Kendo

orasot 30-04-16 09:29 AM

Hi Kendo,
This is what I found at the IWM, all as written in their documents, 16th & 24th I gave you already,
2/13th silver wire embroidered rose with a grey outer edge worn by officers on the back of the tunic 1/4" below the collar.

2/14th 2" yellow circles on both sides of pagri.

2/15th from may 1917 royal blue 2" circle on right of pagri

2/17th black worsted triangle 2 1/2" base 3" sides worn inverted on back of tunic. black cotton triangle same size (stiffened with card) worn apex up on pagri.

2/18th dark green triangle 2 1/4" base 3 1/4" sides

2/19th light blue flannel triangle 2 5/8" base 3 1/4" sides, blue grey/ horizon blue 2 1/2" equilateral triangle

2/21st rifle green twill 1 1/2" square worn on back of jacket 24/6/16 to 6/17 then worn on both sides of the pagri.
Other battalions stated as not known ( 20th, 22nd & 23rd)

Hope this helps,
Wilf.

talos 30-04-16 08:00 PM

60 Division

Hi Wilf

Thank you for information - fantastic !

I was trawling the internet the other evening and I came across a book called 'The Second Twentieth' by Captain W.R. Elliott MC, and on the cover was a colour illustration of a soldier in KD in with a red triangle on the puggaree of his Wolseley helmet - so that fills another gap.

Once again thanks for info

Regards

Kendo

Drew 21-10-17 03:17 AM

This is all very interesting, thanks very much Gentlemen. I hope you do not mind me asking, but were the green and white colours bisected horizontally or vertically?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

orasot 22-10-17 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 425118)
This is all very interesting, thanks very much Gentlemen. I hope you do not mind me asking, but were the green and white colours bisected horizontally or vertically?

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi Chris,
Bisected vertically mate, see you soon hopefully,
Wilf

Drew 22-10-17 11:01 PM

Thanks very much, Wilf. That's fantastic.

Hopefully catch up soon. That would be great.

Chris