British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Up Pompeii Cap and Collars (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31136)

tonyb 01-04-13 07:11 PM

Up Pompeii Cap and Collars

1 Attachment(s)
I know what your thinking;)
However I only sat through this film for this pic of Lance Percival, showing an Officers Home Counties Brigade cap badge. Not sure about collars, Sherwood Foresters?
Regards Tony.

grey_green_acorn 01-04-13 07:35 PM

Collars look like Royal Sussex?

Tim

tonyb 01-04-13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 207518)
Collars look like Royal Sussex?

Tim

GGA,
Just looked in Churchill and Westlake, yes they do look to be Royal Sussex.
No mention of Brigade use.
I assume this combination of cap an collar would indicate a specific battalion?
Regards Tony.

grey_green_acorn 01-04-13 08:29 PM

From 1958 to 1968 the Home Counties Brigade included Queen's Surreys, Middlesex, Royal Sussex and Queen's Own Buffs. Each regiment wore their own collar Badges. Became the Queen's Regiment in 1968.

Tim

tonyb 01-04-13 08:33 PM

Thanks Tim.
Regards Tony.

Mike H 17-09-16 11:03 PM

Tim is correct when he states Royal Sussex collars. These were changed from a similar collar in gilt or gold anodised which was stubbier and had a shorter plume. Personally i feel that the silver pattern are far more pleasing on the eye compared to the older pattern.

REMEVMBEA1 18-09-16 01:35 AM

Would the brigade of worn that cap which looks very much like a Caps, Royals as worn by REME , Royal Artillery and probably several others or did the different battalions wear different caps?

Tiger Pete 18-09-16 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

These are the correct collar badges worn by officers of the Royal Sussex Regiment while part of the Home Counties Bde. until 1966; (Churchill 979) and the officers' cap badge (as for K&K 2025).

Leslie Deacon 25-11-17 03:55 AM

Royal Sussex Collar-Dogs

I was Royal Sussex in 1961-73........The Collar Dogs you see, were introduced in 1961 & replaced the old Brass/Gilt "Stubby" ones (...and not vice versa as suggested above) They were silver anodised from Gaunt. The Officers however, have always worn this maltese cross shaped type:), since their almalgamation with 107th in 1881. We didnt lose these Collar Dogs untill the disbandment of the Home Counties Brigade in 1966, as we were forced to wear the Queens rubbish. We lost our beautiful Cap-badge much earlier in 1959, as we had to adopt the "Corn Flakes Package" version of the HCB..........Lance Percival is correctle dressed !...............regards......Les

https://theorangelily.jimdo.com/

leigh kitchen 25-11-17 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 (Post 375727)
Would the brigade of worn that cap which looks very much like a Caps, Royals as worn by REME , Royal Artillery and probably several others or did the different battalions wear different caps?

The "Royal Regiments" would wear it, the Middlesex Regiment would wear the "non-Royal" cap which didn't have the red band.

gb64 25-11-17 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 428457)
The "Royal Regiments" would wear it, the Middlesex Regiment would wear the "non-Royal" cap which didn't have the red band.

I haven't access to my photos tonight but I'm sure the Middlesex whilst Home Counties wore there original caps "with" the red bands, I'll put a couple of pics up tomorrow

Gerard

leigh kitchen 25-11-17 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gb64 (Post 428537)
I haven't access to my photos tonight but I'm sure the Middlesex whilst Home Counties wore there original caps "with" the red bands, I'll put a couple of pics up tomorrow.
Found it - it's an officers cap:

Gerard

I thought they stuck with the blue banded caps being a non-Royal regiment.
Perhaps the red band was adopted by all regiments in addition to the common badge in order to help forge a corporate identity.
I have only one cap of the Middlesex Regiment (it has a "silver"badge, I can't remember if it's an officers or NCOs), it doesn't have a red band.