British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   152 (Ayrshire Yeomanry) Fd Regt RA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63491)

Mike Jackson 04-08-17 07:21 PM

152 (Ayrshire Yeomanry) Fd Regt RA

2 Attachment(s)
Some comments on a Yeomanry Gunner regiment in the Second World War. Lesson Identified - don't meddle with their traditions! Lesson identified - Have faith in them - notwithstanding the CRA's comment in May 1942. By the end of the war members of the Regiment had been awarded: 2 DSOs, 12 MCs, 18 MMs, 2 bars to MM, 25 MiD and sundry other decorations. And at the end of the War, they were still wearing the Ayrshire Yeomanry badge in their headdress.
Attachment 175448Attachment 175449

badjez 04-08-17 10:27 PM

152 Fd Regt

Mike,

Am I correct in thinking that the major is wearing a cap badge whilst the OR is wearing a collar dog in his headdress? I base this on comparative size.

Stephen.

Mike Jackson 05-08-17 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 415595)
Mike,

Am I correct in thinking that the major is wearing a cap badge whilst the OR is wearing a collar dog in his headdress? I base this on comparative size.

Stephen.

Over to the cap badge experts for help! To me Maj Tulloch's beret badge looks larger than a collar badge and smaller than the very large cap badge - possibly an embroidered beret badge? If that group of four is Maj Tulloch's OP Party, they are remarkably well decorated - "Maj WA Tulloch controlled the fire of the Ayrshire guns in a most courageous and skilful manner. He was awarded the MC after this tough and bloody battle."(capture of San Bartolomeo by the Grenadier Guards) . Mike
Attachment 175460

Hoot 06-08-17 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 415595)
Mike,

Stephen.

The sergeant is wearing a collar badge on his beret but the officer's badge is not too clear.

GriffMJ 07-08-17 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson (Post 415567)
Some comments on a Yeomanry Gunner regiment in the Second World War. Lesson Identified - don't meddle with their traditions! Lesson identified - Have faith in them - notwithstanding the CRA's comment in May 1942. By the end of the war members of the Regiment had been awarded: 2 DSOs, 12 MCs, 18 MMs, 2 bars to MM, 25 MiD and sundry other decorations. And at the end of the War, they were still wearing the Ayrshire Yeomanry badge in their headdress.
Attachment 175448Attachment 175449

There is always one T**T that will try and upset the Esprit de corps. The 153rd/154th (LYPAO) FR RA.... made sure that no such pillock would try that on and made it a condition at the start of being RA that the cap badge/ST/buttons were retained. "Reluctant Gunners" was a common phrase in the Yeomanry in WW2.