British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Home Front (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   VTC Cap badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62966)

Panther1 10-07-17 02:27 PM

VTC Cap badges

I have started to acquire a few VTC cap badges and was looking for a list of all the VTCs. Does any one know where u can find such a list? Did each VTC have their own badge and if so how many are there?

Many thanks
Tom

Alan O 10-07-17 03:03 PM

There is no single list of units nor badges. There are some excellent VTC albums on the Forum albums pages which are a start.

Some VTCs had their own badges whilst others did not. The VTCs themselves were incorporated in to the Army at the end of the war and many, but not all, adopted either the GS cap badge or the county regiment badges to which they became Volunteer Battalions of. It's very convoluted.

Jelly Terror 10-07-17 03:10 PM

Hello Tom,

If you are a member of the Military Historical Society and/or have access to their bulletin, there was a superb series of articles last year (I think) by Ray Westlake, which, if memory serves, covered a great many of the VTC units prior to the formation of the Volunteer Force. Well worth seeking out.

Regards,

JT

grey_green_acorn 10-07-17 05:39 PM

This s a link to the MHS index

https://www.themilitaryhistoricalsoc...ons/index.html

Tim

Alan O 11-07-17 07:59 AM

Whilst ebay is full of VTC fakes, genuine VTC badges are few and far between so I would counsel caution before splashing out on them. These are not the sort of badges that pop up on online auctions sites for a few pounds.

Panther1 11-07-17 09:07 AM

Thanks for the replies, it is a shame there is no definitive list for these, as in the beginning it was an unregulated organisation I imagine that there us a variety of badges.

As for the authenticity of the badges, I am not overly concerned on these as having original ones. I more interested in representing this odd arrangement to show where a lot of the volunteer battalions of established regiments came from.

Regards
Tom

Arte et Marte

Peter Brydon 11-07-17 09:27 AM

Tom,

I am sure you known that the Volunteer Battalions of the County Regiments formed from the VTC units in WW1 were nothing to do with the Volunteer Battalions that existed pre 1908, and which generally became Territorial Force Battalions in 1908.

Peter

Jelly Terror 11-07-17 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 412417)
Tom,

I am sure you known that the Volunteer Battalions of the County Regiments formed from the VTC units in WW1 were nothing to do with the Volunteer Battalions that existed pre 1908, and which generally became Territorial Force Battalions in 1908.

Peter

You make a good point here Peter. Without wishing to appear pedantic in any way, the phraseology often used in relation to this subject can sometimes create a bit of confusion for the uninitiated... 'Volunteer Rifle Corps'; 'Volunteer Battalion'; 'Volunteer Force', et al.

JT.

Peter Brydon 11-07-17 02:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I hope the attached might be of interest, it relates to Liverpool but the history of the pre 1908 Volunteer Battalions and the WW1 Volunteer Units for other Regiments/ areas will be similar.

The first attachment shows the lineage of the Liverpool Volunteers and Territorials.

The second attachment shows the History of the Liverpool WW1 VTC`s and Volunteer Battalions.

The third attachment shows the names of some of the Liverpool VTC`s as at 1915.

The fourth and final attachment is from a report from 1920 on titles used by the Liverpool WW1 Volunteer units.

P.B.

TWGB 12-07-17 11:24 AM

Tom,

Good Luck! This is still the least researched / published field of the Great War...

I have been building a database of VTC units for several years, and most months I add one or two units to it. Ray Westlake's MHSB articles, based on the VTC Gazette first year or so) were a great help, but by no means exhaustive...

My current count is 1,016 Units, but many of these would not have had badges. RW cites 792 units in the MHSB articles, of which 605 do not appear on any list of badges (either Headdress or Mufti) that I know of. My badge databases (~200 Headdress, ~300 Mufti) overlap the Gazette list by about 200, with some overlap between the two badge lists, too.

Most of my badges are in my albums, but they are due a major refresh soon. I need to retire, so I can concentrate on my hobby; work keeps getting in the way...

My database is still "in development", so not in a good enough state to share, yet. That said, I would be interested in hearing what badges you have; almost every collector has something I don't!

Best regards,

Tim

manchesters 12-07-17 12:38 PM

Tim,

Its good to hear of your database. Here are some local ones to me that I have badges to:-

Longsight & Royton Defence Corps (Oldham, Lancashire)
Wigan Volunteer Corps
Lancashire Volunteers - Wigan Corps
Lancashire Volunteer - 1st Battalion 47A
New Moston Civic Guard
Chorlton cum Hardy Civil Defence Corps
Stretford Volunteer Defence Corps
Manchester Volunteer Regiment
Manchester Athletes Volunteer Defence Force
Manchester Volunteer Defence Corps

I would be particularly interested to hear of any units from the Greater Manchester Area, particularly those with a connection to Tameside, ie - Ashton under Lyne, Hurst, Audenshaw, Mossley, Stalybridge, Hyde, Newton, Gee Cross, Denton, Haughton Green, Droylsden or any sub units of smaller localities within those areas.

regards

Panther1 12-07-17 06:17 PM

Hi
Thanks for the insight into this subject, this is a much bigger thing than I imagined.
I only have 5 badges at the moment:
Sussex VTC
Carnarvonshire VTC
Rochester VTC
Barrow and North Lonsdale VTC
Dulwich and District Defence League.

Regards
Tom

Alan O 12-07-17 06:19 PM

Tom

If you were to add Exeter Volunteers to that list then you would have probably half of the restrike ones I am afraid.

Panther1 12-07-17 06:27 PM

Alan,
I am not too worried about the authenticity of these badges. Given the time period and scarcity of these badges I am happy just to have a representation of them, these seem to be forgotten formations.
Regards
Tom

TWGB 12-07-17 07:11 PM

Greater Manchester

Simon,

I'm on the road at the moment, not back until Monday, but I certainly recognize some of those names - Stalybridge, Hyde and Haughton Green from immediate memory. I'll check the rest, and see if I can dig out some pictures, next week.

Best regards,

Tim