British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Black Watch queries (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66497)

Sonofacqms 07-02-18 11:51 AM

Black Watch queries

3 Attachment(s)
Can anyone confirm the large brooch is Black watch?

Any ideas on the small KC badge with "42" in the centre pictured here with a normal Black Watch cap badge?

Thanks in advance

Rob

fougasse1940 07-02-18 05:38 PM

Yes the Pipers plaid brooch is Black Watch and perhaps the small badge was part of a waist belt clasp?

Rgds, Thomas

Sonofacqms 07-02-18 06:02 PM

Black Watch

Thanks Thomas for verifying the pipers brooch, yes, with N-S loops the "42" it could well be a belt adornment.

Regards Rob

Paul Spellman 07-02-18 07:54 PM

I think the Plaid Brooch is a bit more universal and possibly worn by civilians maybe the Canadian Black Watch too, the Black Watch ones I am familiar with have a Sphinx and sometimes motto in the design,VB's TF generally had their title on them, it's not the Royal Scots either they had a Victorian Crown on theirs.
Paul

Sonofacqms 07-02-18 08:21 PM

Pipers brooch

Paul,
The reason I put this up for verification is that really there is no definite indication as to what or who wore this item, I bought a small collection of these brooches some years ago which included a Royal Scots which has as you say a QVC as well as the title below.

Before I start re-carding I think I will wait for a more certain answer.

Many thanks Rob

Paul Spellman 07-02-18 08:52 PM

Rob,
I base my reply on having served attached to both Regts, the Watch on two occasions. You see many of the Plaid Brooches like yours for sale from a variety of sources, there must of been Regts of Pipers that I probably missed
Paul

fougasse1940 07-02-18 08:59 PM

I based my reply on the one illustrated in Hodges' British Army Badges book, p. 197 # 22.

Rgds, Thomas

Paul Spellman 07-02-18 09:34 PM

I'm obviously very wrong then, you should go by the book
Paul

Sonofacqms 07-02-18 10:00 PM

Black Watch pipers

Many thanks chaps for your help, I do not have Hodges' British Army Badges book which could well go on my Christmas list for 2018.

I will add this item to my Black watch board.

Rob

fougasse1940 07-02-18 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 435185)
I'm obviously very wrong then, you should go by the book
Paul

Paul I'm not trying to devalue your contribution here, if I came across like that my apologies. I was just showing my source.
Probably just making it worse now, but see also Bloomer's Badges of the Highland and Lowland Regiments p. 70 where the one illustrated is described as 'Officers Plaid Brooch Hallmarked Silver 1900'. Also Google images for 'black Watch Piper' and you'll find that quite a few are shown.
Perhaps the Black Watch wore various plaid brooches over time?

Rgds, Thomas

Paul Spellman 07-02-18 11:09 PM

No need to apologise Thomas,
Yes there does seem to be a large variety of Plaid Brooches to the Black Watch, most worrying is that you can get them made to order (the pattern shown in the thread) from House of Labhran in Silver Plated Brass or HM'd along with a large variety of other Insignia.
Paul

fougasse1940 08-02-18 01:08 AM

Indeed they do, and quite a few other military items, here's a link: http://houseoflabhran.net/product-ca...kles-insignia/
For £175.00 you do get the satisfaction that your Silver plated on brass Black Watch Regimental Plaid Brooch is 'made to order by the regimental silversmith in Scotland. Hallmarked sterling silver plaid brooch £P.O.A'.

Rgds, Thomas

rmarsden 08-02-18 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rob, your plaid brooch is typical of Black Watch bandsman, normally 4" diameter. Here are some examples either chromed or silver plated, the brooch bottom right is an officers example in silver for comparison.
Ron.

rmarsden 08-02-18 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pipers on the other hand are normally 3" diameter.

rmarsden 08-02-18 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sergeants come in between at 3/1/2 inches.