British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pathfinder badge?? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44062)

stubomb 13-01-15 09:21 PM

Pathfinder badge??

Hello. I'm new to the forum and I've been reading an old thread which has raised questions to a badge I possess. As I look at it, its a right facing brass eagle/albatross. It's 53mm wide x 13mm in height. It has 2 threaded studs on the back. Both 5mm in length. I was told its a cap badge but after reading the above mentioned thread, I'm not so sure. Could someone identify please? Many thanks. Stu. :-)

Mike_2817 13-01-15 09:55 PM

A picture would be better? A Cap Badge had the crown above

http://wing.chez-alice.fr/RAF/clothi...inder_Wing.jpg

Worn on the left hand pocket flap below Pilots Wings or Brevets & medal ribbons.

Only one I have seen close-up had 2 metal blades, and I have seen pictures with both a brooch fittings and screw posts.

stubomb 13-01-15 10:35 PM

How do I upload pics? Only using phone for now. The badge is nicely detailed. Not as shiny as the one you posted. The body and wing tops of the bird are hollowed at the back. The rest is solid. The tail feathers are 3 one way, 4 the other with a little gap in between. The threaded studs are about 8mm from each wing tip. Hope that helps.

stubomb 13-01-15 10:46 PM

I can't upload pics at the minute as im using my phone. My badge is nicely detailed and patinated. The main body and wing tops of the bird are hollowed at the back. The rest is solid. The tail feathers are 3 one way and 4 the other with a little gap between. The threaded studs are about 8mm from each wing tip. I hope this helps.

Bill A 13-01-15 10:50 PM

Hello stubomb, welcome to the Forum. New posts are moderated to make sure they are not a spammer. You should be okay now.

Mike_2817 13-01-15 11:27 PM

Example in wear

http://www.alliedflightgear.com/118_...-web-large.jpg

magpie 14-01-15 12:49 AM

Although it could have been used as a pathfinder badge once removed from the uniform it reverts back to being half a cap badge if you don't also count the backing plate, nuts and washers that are probably missing as well the crown.

2747andy 18-02-16 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 294377)
Although it could have been used as a pathfinder badge once removed from the uniform it reverts back to being half a cap badge if you don't also count the backing plate, nuts and washers that are probably missing as well the crown.

Andy,
I thought the Pathfinders badges were brooched, so easily distinguishable from the lower half of the side-hat badge. They were also removed before deploying on operations, so the screw post badges would have left holes.

Andy

magpie 18-02-16 05:44 PM

Pictures show the side cap badge being worn with the backing plate to give a nice tight look on the the uniform so once removed it turns back to being half a badge, the other thing is would you really wear your best bird pulling uniform on ops or just wear an old one with no badge on, I'm not going to say I'm an expert on these badges but I wouldn't have thought they gave them out like smarties and you may have only been given the one pin back with it's certificate when reaching the required levels needed while being in a pathfinder squadron, I'm sure someone will know much more than me on these.

Tinto 18-02-16 07:41 PM

Hi,
Here's a link discussing Pathfinder badge fixings:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...thfinder+Tinto

Cheers, Tinto

2747andy 18-02-16 07:43 PM

Tinto,
link takes you to the home page?

Andy

Tinto 18-02-16 07:47 PM

Hi Andy,
Sorry about that.
Have another go on the link.
Tinto

SAS1 18-02-16 11:04 PM

This is probably a better discussion http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...thfinder+Tinto

In a nutshell, the notion that Pathfinder badges with a broach fitting are post war is rubbish. The 'ISSUE' badges all had broach type fittings and were issued, as mentioned, with a certificate. Each Airman had more than one uniform (I think one battledress and two service dress tunics), and as such it was quite common for am Airman to beg, borrow, buy or steal additional badges for his uniforms.

The Pathfinder badge was just a brass right facing Eagle. Issue badges, as mentioned, had broach pin fittings, reputedly as they were supposed to be removed from the uniform before ops, although Ive never heard of an airman actually doing this.

The same badge with screw fitting was normally accompanied by a small crown and backing plate for the side cap, while those with thin bend over wires were made for the officers cap badge. In reality, all types were used as Pathfinder badges, it depended on the airman. If he had a spare cap badge he might well use it less the crown, and by modifying the back plate, or might even pull one off a peaked cap badge.

Additionally, badges with broach fittings were sold as that - broaches and sweetheart badges, sometimes in brass, often in gilt, at the lower end of the price scale.

The only true Pathfinder badge is one that has provenance from a veteran - regardless of the fixing.

Frank Kelley 19-02-16 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is merely an eagle, unless, it was actually worn by a member of the PFF as "his" particular badge, you would need his original PFF certificate, or perhaps his original 2520, his Forms 414 or 1767 and similar, in fact, anything whatsoever that confirms his operational service in 8 Group or it's predecessor's.
However, to be quite honest, unless a particular recipient actually told you it was his Pathfinder badge, then really, all it can ever be is simply, an eagle.

The obvious thing to do if all you want is a Pathfinder badge is to simply go and get an example of the PFF badge itself, rather than an just another eagle, they are very distinctive and had a very basic utilitarian reverse which should not be confused with something else, it's pin, the "tube" hinge and "flat" rolled catch are very distinct indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubomb (Post 294359)
Hello. I'm new to the forum and I've been reading an old thread which has raised questions to a badge I possess. As I look at it, its a right facing brass eagle/albatross. It's 53mm wide x 13mm in height. It has 2 threaded studs on the back. Both 5mm in length. I was told its a cap badge but after reading the above mentioned thread, I'm not so sure. Could someone identify please? Many thanks. Stu. :-)

Landyman101 29-04-16 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Opinions welcomed on this variety ..;)
I have read the threads connected and have heard similar arguments over the years as to the exact style of a Pathfinder wing.
This example has a brooch style fitting with rollover catch and is stamped Firmin London.
Cheers
Gary