British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bullion Parachute Regiment Officers cap badge? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67065)

3dg 20-03-18 03:28 PM

Bullion Parachute Regiment Officers cap badge?

Hello.
My Dad seems to recall seeing officers or the Parachute Regiment wearing Bullion cap badges in the 70's 80's, is this correct? He says he's not 100% sure.
Thank you for your time.

3dg 20-03-18 06:45 PM

I've just spoken to him further on the subject, he said it was on a friend of his maroon beret, and this friend was a Life Guards Officer in the Guards Independent Parachute Company, he seems recall a bullion Parachute Regiment cap badge on the Guards blue red blue backing, he seems quite convinced! Any ideas good people?
Thank you

Colin S 20-03-18 09:55 PM

Guards Para officers beret badges

The officers of the Guards Independent Parachute Company did indeed start to wear an embroidered beret badge on the Guards maroon and blue badge backing and the OCs beret with this arrangement was being displayed in the Guards Museum fairly recently. However, when the Parachute Regiment RHQ learned about this, they prohibited the practice and insisted on metal cap badges for all ranks (meaning silver for officer’s).

3dg 20-03-18 10:53 PM

Thank you very much for the reply, I have to tell him he was right now ha ha.
Does anyone have an example or photo of this badge please?
Thank you again

pontecagnano 21-03-18 12:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 438605)
Does anyone have an example or photo of this badge please?

This is the one!

Best regards,

Graham

3dg 21-03-18 06:42 AM

Excellent, thank you Graham, appreciated.
I take it these are quite rare, do you know who made them, obviously a private purchase?
Thank you again for your time.

Frank Kelley 21-03-18 08:22 AM

Both Marland's and Fabb produced some examples in the 1950's and surprisingly, beyond too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 438618)
Excellent, thank you Graham, appreciated.
I take it these are quite rare, do you know who made them, obviously a private purchase?
Thank you again for your time.

3dg 21-03-18 09:51 AM

Thank you, one to look out for.
Appreciated all

pontecagnano 21-03-18 01:13 PM

These don't come up as frequently as they used to. Unfortunately they have been reproduced for collectors long after they ceased to be worn.

Graham

Frank Kelley 21-03-18 01:41 PM

Be very careful, on the face of it, easy with lots out there, but, precious few that were actually in the tailors shops, some fifty years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dg (Post 438635)
Thank you, one to look out for.
Appreciated all

3dg 21-03-18 02:04 PM

Thanks for information and advice, appreciated

ianh67military 21-03-18 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo of one seen worn by presumably an ex-officer at the Arnhem 70th Celebrations. Original beret from the 60's? Original old tarnished badge (plus Guards tie). Guards ribbon behind (as worn by Other Ranks behind the anodised badge)
Superb.

Ian H

3dg 21-03-18 11:12 PM

Excellent photograph, thank you for sharing Ian H