British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Military Buttons (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   N. Devon button (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65963)

GTB 04-01-18 03:12 PM

N. Devon button

2 Attachment(s)
Going through my early buttons.
This specimen dates to c. 1800 and retains most of its gilt, especially on the front. Flat, one-piece, 1" dia.
One should note that the strap is inscribed "N. DEVON", the centre has Roman numerals "XI", and there is no crown. Not found in Parkyn.
Backmark "I. NUTTING. KING ST. COVENT GARDEN"

Comments welcome, especially as to time frame.

GTB

btns 04-01-18 04:02 PM

This is a very nice button and in remarkable condition.
Thank you for showing it.

GTB 04-01-18 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btns (Post 431942)
This is a very nice button and in remarkable condition.
Thank you for showing it.

Thanks btns. Evidently "they don't make them like that anymore"!

Needs quite a bit of research to place it in its proper context

GTB

Roy 04-01-18 04:35 PM

Hi GTB,

A super button, well done. I really enjoy these early buttons and have a few of similar construction in my collection.

Good luck with the research.

Cheerio,

Roy

GTB 04-01-18 04:41 PM

Discovered it was givem the additional county title of 11th (North Devon) Regiment of Foot in 1782. So that narrows down the dating somewhat.

GTB

Roy 04-01-18 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gents,

I thought it might be of interest to show a couple of further examples of the Nutting backmark which are little clearer than this splendid featured button.

#039 'I Nutting Covent Garden'
#074 'I Nutting & Son King St Covent Garden'

GTB, unless my eyes are deceiving me, your example seems to have a backmark which has elements of both of these shown (i.e. the design of the first and address of the second). All very interesting.

Cheerio,

Roy

GTB 04-01-18 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 431952)
Hi Gents,

I thought it might be of interest to show a couple of further examples of the Nutting backmark which are little clearer than this splendid featured button.

#039 'I Nutting Covent Garden'
#074 'I Nutting & Son King St Covent Garden'

GTB, unless my eyes are deceiving me, your example seems to have a backmark which has elements of both of these shown (i.e. the design of the first and address of the second). All very interesting.

Cheerio,

Roy

Roy,

You are absolutely right and I commend your excellent vision.

My button has an upper beaded arc enclosing the maker 'I. NUTTING'. The lower address has 'COVENT GARDEN' (no arc) and 'KING ST' above this and just below the shank.
Apparently we have here what could be a 'transitional' backmark!

GTB

Roy 04-01-18 05:19 PM

Hi GTB,

Yes, it's all very interesting indeed. Some further comments.

My second example, also has '& Son', so one would presume is of a later date than my first one shown or your example.

To place my two examples into more context:

#039 (I Nutting Covent Garden) is an Irish Militia button, tentatively dated at between 1783 - 1820.

#074 (I Nutting & Son King St Covent Garden) is a (Scottish) Local Militia button, so dates from 1808 - 1816.

Cheerio,

Roy

GTB 04-01-18 05:57 PM

Parkyn states that from 1800 the design incorporated a Crown and the strap contained 'REGIMENT'.

GTB