British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   AFC Enamel badges What for?? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62297)

Jackhr 01-06-17 10:30 PM

AFC Enamel badges What for??

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all
I thought I would ask if any one of our Australian badge collectors could answer this question as to what these 2 enamel badges represent also a photo of the Observer wearing 1 of the badges under his wing??

I don't know if Jack may have asked this question awhile back but as I'm monitoring the forum for him and I thought I would ask.

Thanks Rob

badgecollector 02-06-17 05:27 AM

this has been asked before and im sure if you do an advanced search you will find it.
bc

Jackhr 02-06-17 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 407511)
this has been asked before and im sure if you do an advanced search you will find it.
bc

Thanks BC as I said not sure weather asked as we still have no idea??

Pembird 21-08-17 06:19 PM

Jack, what makes you think theses badges are military? They look like school house colours or suchlike. The photo could show a first pattern DFC, AFC ribbon.

Jackhr 21-08-17 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pembird (Post 417580)
Jack, what makes you think theses badges are military? They look like school house colours or suchlike. The photo could show a first pattern DFC, AFC ribbon.

Well he was not awarded the DFC or AFC ,also the photo was taken during WW1 and I think wearing those items would be forbidden on his uniform.

Cheers

zob 22-08-17 12:55 AM

That is a medal ribbon below the brevet, and is either the DFC or AFC. The bars on ribbon originally ran horizontally as illustrated in your photograph, they were later changed to run an angle of 45 degrees from left to right on both awards. I understand that they were instituted in 1918 six months before the end of the war.

Best regards,
Zob.

Jackhr 22-08-17 01:20 AM

Thanks zob
But mate he was not awarded any Gallantry medals just the standard Trio.So could not be a ribbon bar.

Cheers

zob 22-08-17 12:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 417612)
Thanks zob
But mate he was not awarded any Gallantry medals just the standard Trio.So could not be a ribbon bar.

Cheers

Hello again,

I note from the unedited version of photograph that was posted on the forum sometime last year that the lieutenant wears what appears to be an unusually shaped shoulder title or could this possibly be one of the enamel bars in question, as I understand that officers don’t usually wear shoulder titles, but of course there are always exceptions particularly as this photograph was taken late in the war and or could indeed be a transition picture. On the subject of not having been awarded any gallantry awards – are you quite sure that you have right person and not a brother or cousin, as I note that there are two photographs that were originally posted last year that are seemingly the same man - but perhaps not?

I've attached the photo in question so that other members can see, and also a couple of examples of DFC/AFC ribbons being worn.

Best regards,
Zob.