British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal Devon Yeomanry Artillery OSD (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68506)

Rob Miller 19-06-18 08:38 AM

Royal Devon Yeomanry Artillery OSD

5 Attachment(s)
I bought this at the recent Wartime in the Vale show at Evesham, it came from a dealer from Devon selling off large quantities of uniforms ect previously used by the theatrical industry.

The buttons are all nicely sewn on and with the label being from Exeter I'm quite sure this is all original, but the rank insignia holes in the epaulettes may have been added to during its theatrical use?

So I could use a little help with the following questions.

1. Opinions on his name, I've tried searching for what I think it says with no success, and I can't find any mention in the history or the 142nd Field Regiment RA, so he may have been in the 96th.

2. The collar badges, there is a nice imprint of what looks like a standard RA OSD badge, is that correct with the standard RA motto?

3. Would it have had "RDY" brass shoulder titles?

All thoughts welcome.

Rob

Jelly Terror 19-06-18 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 446581)
I bought this at the recent Wartime in the Vale show at Evesham, it came from a dealer from Devon selling off large quantities of uniforms ect previously used by the theatrical industry.

The buttons are all nicely sewn on and with the label being from Exeter I'm quite sure this is all original, but the rank insignia holes in the epaulettes may have been added to during its theatrical use?

So I could use a little help with the following questions.

1. Opinions on his name, I've tried searching for what I think it says with no success, and I can't find any mention in the history or the 142nd Field Regiment RA, so he may have been in the 96th.

2. The collar badges, there is a nice imprint of what looks like a standard RA OSD badge, is that correct with the standard RA motto?

3. Would it have had "RDY" brass shoulder titles?

All thoughts welcome.

Rob

Rob,

Looks to me like '2nd Lt. J. M. Hepburn'.

JT

grey_green_acorn 19-06-18 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like this chap:

Possibly a Torquay solicitor in 1973

Tim

Rob Miller 19-06-18 11:19 AM

Thank you for the replies, that looks like him.

Rob

Mike Jackson 19-06-18 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The RDY were very keen in WW2 on perpetuating the Yeomanry heritage - although required to wear standard RA shoulder titles this officer of 96 Fd Regt RA went for the RDY beret badge. In Malaya (Op Zipper) RDY Officers wore rank sleeves bearing the legend R.D.Y.A. in black on OG.
Attachment 190024

Rob Miller 11-06-22 06:04 AM

I have found a nice pair of Gaunt OSD Royal Artillery collar badges to put on this jacket, now I'm trying to decide what rank insignia to put on, the shoulder straps have enough holes for a Captain but they could have been made post war as I bought this from a company with theatrical connections. How can I find out what rank he reached whilst with the RDA and what type of pips is appropriate, gilt, gilt enamelled or bronze?

Rob

41st 11-06-22 07:21 AM

Rob,
You might want to type is name into the search box of the London Gazette which should bring up any further promotions. The information will be similar to that shown in Tim’s post.
Hwyl,
Kevin