British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Swagger Sticks. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60240)

Jelly Terror 27-02-17 02:43 AM

Swagger Sticks.

Swagger sticks...

...what were they for?

In addition, who had them, who didn't, when from/to?

With thanks,

JT

Phil2M 27-02-17 03:01 AM

For swatting peasants away? Apparently they were a sign of authority for officers, however, lots of O/Rs are seen in pictures posing with swagger sticks (or riding crops?)

Roy 27-02-17 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi JT,

I have researched this topic a little as it's part of an article I'm writing on Swagger-Daggers (swagger sticks with hidden daggers). Happy to share a photo of an example if interested?

Anyway the 'swagger stick' became a popular items around the late victorian period and started to disappear from general use (by OR's ) around WWI. Prior to this it was the must have item for all ranks when 'walking out'. As far as I can ascertain it was derived from the riding crop originally used by cavalry.

From WWI onwards we see it more for senior NCO's or officer but originally any solder around the turn of the century would have carried one when out on the town.

Wilkinson Sword were still supplying this to officers (with a hidden blade) as late as post WWII.

I have many original photographs in my Shropshire collection that show all ranks carrying a swagger stick - attached is one of my favorites.

Hope that helps?

Cheerio,

Roy

manchesters 27-02-17 07:37 AM

SNCO's & WO's had Canes. Much thicker than swagger sticks.

regards

muskey 27-02-17 10:57 AM

I remember years ago, watching a FWW documentary, and it stated that all the OR's were encouraged to carry a swagger stick, to keep their hands out of their pockets.

Jelly Terror 27-02-17 11:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 395684)
Hi JT,

I have researched this topic a little as it's part of an article I'm writing on Swagger-Daggers (swagger sticks with hidden daggers). Happy to share a photo of an example if interested?

Anyway the 'swagger stick' became a popular items around the late victorian period and started to disappear from general use (by OR's ) around WWI. Prior to this it was the must have item for all ranks when 'walking out'. As far as I can ascertain it was derived from the riding crop originally used by cavalry.

From WWI onwards we see it more for senior NCO's or officer but originally any solder around the turn of the century would have carried one when out on the town.

Wilkinson Sword were still supplying this to officers (with a hidden blade) as late as post WWII.

I have many original photographs in my Shropshire collection that show all ranks carrying a swagger stick - attached is one of my favorites.

Hope that helps?

Cheerio,

Roy

Roy,

Many thanks for this.

So it was a sartorial embellishment of no real useful purpose other than for the discerning gentleman simply to 'swagger' about town with? Surely a private purchase item, would that be correct?

These curious accoutrements appear to be many a varied, often silver-tipped at the lower end, with the upper sections also seen finished in silver (or white-metal?), sometimes with an orbicular, conical or cylindrical grip, and often embossed with the appropriate regimental device. Has your research led you to any RACD references?

A 'life span' lasting only from the late-Victorian to around the Great War periods... quite a short-lived piece of kit then really. Quite an interesting subject.

Thanks for the image too, by the way - a few below for interest.

Regards,

JT

Attachment 165969Attachment 165970Attachment 165971Attachment 165973Attachment 165972

Jelly Terror 27-02-17 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 395696)
SNCO's & WO's had Canes. Much thicker than swagger sticks.

regards

Attachment 165974

NiceGirlC 27-02-17 01:24 PM

I always equate swagger sticks with neckties... both useless but men must be seen with them to be taken seriously...:rolleyes:

cefguy 27-02-17 02:13 PM

Swagger Sticks at RMC

1 Attachment(s)
When I entered the Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario as a first year cadet in 1968 the swagger stick was one of the first purchases we were directed to make. I think it came some days after the haircut. In any event there was some time invested in drill involving a swagger stick. For first year cadets, in those rare times you got into the city of Kingston, the number 4 order of dress complete with high collar blue tunics, pill boxes and swagger sticks was the only order of dress allowed. We certainly knew how to carry the "stick" paralleling the ground and the specific steps to stow it under the left arm while maintaining your step in order to salute an officer. If two or more cadets were together the steps were as rehearsed and precise as any other drill movement. Don't know if the cadets still have them or not. I still have mine.
Don

Jelly Terror 27-02-17 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cefguy (Post 395728)
When I entered the Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario as a first year cadet in 1968 the swagger stick was one of the first purchases we were directed to make. I think it came some days after the haircut. In any event there was some time invested in drill involving a swagger stick. For first year cadets, in those rare times you got into the city of Kingston, the number 4 order of dress complete with high collar blue tunics, pill boxes and swagger sticks was the only order of dress allowed. We certainly knew how to carry the "stick" paralleling the ground and the specific steps to stow it under the left arm while maintaining your step in order to salute an officer. If two or more cadets were together the steps were as rehearsed and precise as any other drill movement. Don't know if the cadets still have them or not. I still have mine.
Don

Don,

Fantastic! Our man on the doorstep. Thanks for sharing that, and thanks for the pic. Excellent!

Eddie Parks 27-02-17 03:37 PM

I had always understood that the thin cane with a ball top was properly called a walking out stick and was generally an OR's accoutrement. Officer's canes were shorter and either leather covered or of male bamboo. The latter were issued when I joined RMA Sandhurst in 1966. I used mine once in 2 years.

Higher up there are photos of an RE and and RA driver, both are carrying the long whips used to control a pair of gun or wagon horses.

WO's canes are longer and stouter and are really the last canes carried regularly.

Officers of Irish Inf regts usually, always? carry a blackthorn walking stick and in my time RTR offs always had a ashplant walking stick.

My father went through two WWs and only ever carried an ash plant stick - he was RA.

Eddie

Nozzer 27-02-17 03:47 PM

This is the earliest image that I have of a swagger stick in use, c.1870-81

Jelly Terror 27-02-17 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Parks (Post 395735)
I had always understood that the thin cane with a ball top was properly called a walking out stick and was generally an OR's accoutrement. Officer's canes were shorter and either leather covered or of male bamboo. The latter were issued when I joined RMA Sandhurst in 1966. I used mine once in 2 years.

Higher up there are photos of an RE and and RA driver, both are carrying the long whips used to control a pair of gun or wagon horses.

WO's canes are longer and stouter and are really the last canes carried regularly.

Officers of Irish Inf regts usually, always? carry a blackthorn walking stick and in my time RTR offs always had a ashplant walking stick.

My father went through two WWs and only ever carried an ash plant stick - he was RA.

Eddie

Blimey! It's a branch of science all on its own! :D I hadn't realised.

Thanks Eddie.

Jelly Terror 27-02-17 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Matey here is having a proper cane/stick/mace/crop-fest...

Attachment 165992

barriefield-brian 27-02-17 04:42 PM

I have quite a few swagger sticks. As well I have 3 riding crops with a stag handle. One is plain while the other two have a crest for the Lord Strathconas Horse and are named. Any way to date these? Cheers Brian