British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal Tank Corps badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64706)

burt246 08-10-17 11:11 AM

Royal Tank Corps badge

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone give me some info on this badge? I'm not sure if it's genuine as it's the wrong colour, but it might be an early one.

Neil M.ex14/20H.MAN A.C.F 08-10-17 12:05 PM

Hi Burt
Seems fine to me. Its the early one that was struck in gilding metal.
Regards
Neil
P.S if you are thinking of selling it let me know.

burt246 09-10-17 07:08 AM

Thanks Neil, sorry it's not for sale.

Mark.

fearnaught 09-10-17 06:59 PM

Hi Burt, I think this is the first pattern badge, I also have one with a similar repair. The long thin slider seems typical of this badge, best wishes Mike

burt246 10-10-17 09:44 AM

Hi Mike,

I'm pretty sure it's not a repair, it looks like it was produced like that. There's no cracks on the badge and the brazing looks old and original to the badge.
Was this badge worn with the black beret or the service cap, I've never seen any pictures of this being worn. I know why it was changed, because it looked like it was going in reverse, but was the change from cap to beret done at the same time as the badge change?

Fear Naught!

Mark.

fearnaught 10-10-17 10:41 AM

Hi Burt, I have both original and repaired. I will photograph them later for you. The brass version was changed to w/m when they were awarded the beret for wear. On the beret it was thought to be in retreat so was changed to left facing, hope this helps Mike

burt246 10-10-17 11:00 AM

Thanks Mike,

I knew the reason for the change, but didn't know if the "Fear Naught" badge was worn with the service cap or not. So you are saying the brass "fear naught" was worn with the service cap and the W/M fear Naught badge was worn with the beret?
Do you have a bi metal officers cap badge in your collection? I've only ever see one. Must of been worn by the regimental colonel??

Regards,

Mark.

fearnaught 10-10-17 02:15 PM

Hi Mark, the w/m was made for the beret and fitted with lugs. Later they had the lugs removed and a slider fitted for use by the band and depot staff on caps, or so the story goes. It sounds plausible so it must be true. Personally I like the idea but have seen no proof yet, Mike

fearnaught 10-10-17 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mark, here are the pics. As to the question of bimetallic badges, I think they are fantasy. I've seen several, some from good collections, but none have had even the basic quality one would expect for such a badge. The only regulations I've seen for this badge described it as shilling size which would make it a collar badge. These may have been worn but I've seen no evidence for it and if they were it could only have been for less than a year, hope all this helps Mike

burt246 10-10-17 03:48 PM

Thanks for the info, it all helps.
Is that a repair, or are those rods purposely made?

burt246 10-10-17 03:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've also got these ones, but I'm a bit doubtful about them.

Alan O 10-10-17 05:07 PM

The brass one was worn in the cap and it's introduction was just before the beret was introduced. The white metal one followed - possibly produced in a silver metal to stand out on the black beret and this was the one that was replaced by the w/m one with the tank facing the other way. Supposedly the band and depot staff continued to wear caps in the inter war period. What metal this is is unknown. I am wary of heavily polished brass badges as their period of wear should have been short.

fearnaught 10-10-17 05:36 PM

Hi Mark, I'm suspicious of the first w/m badge. It looks like someone has put two dabs of solder to represent the lugs removed and they are always very bright on the ones I've seen. The originals look different. The second brass badge is also suspect. The crowns were reinforced if they broke off as in your original badge not having the slider added to the tank, best wishes Mike

leigh kitchen 10-10-17 06:03 PM

Are you saying that the brass badge would always have wire reinforcement if the slider was attached to the crown or that it may be added as a repair to a broken badge?

fearnaught 10-10-17 08:08 PM

Hi, in the case of the RTC badge it usually occurs as a repair. Other badges often have the brass wire as strengthening, some Bays badges spring to mind and I'm sure there are many others, best wishes Mike