British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Beach groups (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7820)

boots and saddles 07-10-09 02:49 PM

Beach groups

1 Attachment(s)
If we can drop back to where we were a few days ago to our thread on fouled anchors & beach groups, what would this one be?

Peter Brydon 07-10-09 05:13 PM

I am sure this was the subject of a thread some time ago.It is a sign I understand of one of the units making up the Beach group of the 3rd Canadian Division.

The Liverpool Irish wore the Beach group sign on top of the 3rd Canadian Div sign as the top part of this combination.

This badge is illustrated on Rod Floods web site and I presume he must have sold an example some time ago.

P.B.

Old Smelly 07-10-09 05:32 PM

This red triangle is for Royal Berkshire Regt, in this case I think it's 5th bn who were a Beach Group trained and loaned to canadian 3rd Div
Lee

4966Ian 07-10-09 08:33 PM

Hi Folks,

According to my records and as already stated this combination of badges was for the 5th Battn Royal Berkshire Regiment, Number 8 Beach Group.

However, I didn't record in my notes what the source of that information was. So best to treat the "Number 8 Beach Group" bit as suspect until proven by one of the more knowledgable members. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

As an aside, the versions I have seen in the past just have the round red & white fouled anchor badge straight on to the uniform, they didn't have the grey/blue rectangle behind the badge. Not sure what the significance of that is.

Cheers

Ian

Voltigeur 07-10-09 08:52 PM

I can also confirm that 5th Bn. Royal Berkshire were part of No.8 Beach Group. (No.7 was 8th Bn. Kings Regiment).Both units part of 102 Beach Sub-Area of G.H.Q. Army and Corps Troops Under Command,3 CDN INF DIV. on D-Day.

This information is taken from; General Note on Operations issued by A.C,I.G.S. (Operations) War Office, June 1944. (C.M.H.Q. file 4/Gen Apprec/3.) amended on basis of Order of Battle, War Office, 29 June 44.

Jo

4966Ian 07-10-09 09:33 PM

Hi Jo,

Excellent research/knowledge. I will update my notes accordingly.

Many thanks for replying.

Ian

Voltigeur 07-10-09 10:04 PM

Just happy to be of help Ian.
Cheers
Jo

Peter Brydon 08-10-09 07:55 AM

There is an illustation ( drawing ) in the book in the Osprey series "Irish Regiments in the World Wars" showing a member of the Liverpool Irish as a member of 7th Beach Group on plate H1 and on the back cover.

The beach group patch is set on top of the 3rd Canadian Div sign,unfortunalty the illustration also shows incorrectly the white on red shoulder title as " Kings Regiment" rather than the correct "The Kings Regiment"

It amuses me that the blurb to the book says ( under the illustration on the of the Liverpool Irish soldier on the back cover) " Unrivalled detail " Yea!!!!!!!

P.B.

Danny 08-10-09 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Attached is a photo showing the insignia being worn.

Photo was taken on the 6th June 1944 on HMCS Prince David just as troops are about to board the landing craft.

Regards

Danny

Attachment 17732

Bill A 08-10-09 01:15 PM

A link to an earlier discussion about beach groups and their insignia. The discussion is in the middle of the thread. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...t=beach+groups

Old Smelly 08-10-09 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 49036)
Hi,
Attached is a photo showing the insignia being worn.

Photo was taken on the 6th June 1944 on HMCS Prince David just as troops are about to board the landing craft.

Regards

Danny

Attachment 17732

Also of note in this picture is the fact that their white beach group bands on the helmets appear to have been 'camouflaged' with tape or cloth, presumably removed later when they were on the beach.
lee

Peter Brydon 08-10-09 04:29 PM

Danny,
Do you know which regiment the photo is of ?

P.B.

Danny 08-10-09 05:08 PM

Hello Peter,
The NCOs are from the 5th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Regards

Danny

Peter Brydon 08-10-09 05:10 PM

Thanks Danny

Peter

sailorbear 11-10-09 10:44 AM

Beach Groups

HI, very interesting thread but can someone explain to me exactly what the beach groups were and what formations made them up?

Regards Tony