British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   RCA WW2 Epaulette Title? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64672)

MarkGD 04-10-17 07:43 PM

RCA WW2 Epaulette Title?

Hi All,
I appear to be near the end of my search for badges my Grandfather would have worn.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=132877

Question, he appears to have an epaulette slide or title, what would that have been? would anyone have an image they could share.

Many thanks - Mark

Bill A 04-10-17 09:19 PM

Hi Mark, can you tell us any of the details of his service? Do you know which RCA unit he served with? The image appears to show a 2 CID patch with the Canada nationality title above the patch. And, it appears to be be the CII type patch.

Voltigeur 04-10-17 09:25 PM

.....and wearing a white lanyard on the right shoulder which,IIRC, was a RCA thing.

Jo

MarkGD 05-10-17 08:14 AM

RCA WW2 Epaulette Title?

Bill/Jo,
Thanks for the Replies, he served 40-46, His record, shows he served 6 Fd Field Regt, RCA, alternating between 21st Field Bty & 13th Field Bty which i presume are part of 6 Fd.
Regards Mark

Postwarden 05-10-17 10:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
An embroidered version of the 6 RCA title and of the CII sign.

13th and 21st Batteries both served with 6 RCA.

Jon

Voltigeur 05-10-17 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 423216)
Hi Mark, can you tell us any of the details of his service? Do you know which RCA unit he served with? The image appears to show a 2 CID patch with the Canada nationality title above the patch. And, it appears to be be the CII type patch.

....wasn't the CII patch for officers only ???

Jo

Bill A 05-10-17 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe. There are silk embroidered CII patches that were private purchase. The officers' pattern was bullion wire.
In addition to the 6 RCA shown by Jon, there were other variations of the embroidered pattern also the printed type.

MarkGD 05-10-17 12:03 PM

RCA WW2 Epaulette Title?

2 Attachment(s)
Jon/Bill/Jo,
Many thanks for the reply and images, i thought the 6 RCA was later and there was a 6 Fd Regt one, i'm still learning.

Please see the arm badges i have. I unfortunately missed out on a bullion 2 Bde patch, his brother also served in the Bde in WW1 as an officer and i understand that was the correct patch for him, unfortunately KIA.

Hopefully these are good
Regards Mark

Postwarden 05-10-17 05:18 PM

Like Jo I thought the CII badge was intended for officers but the photo shows that not to be true.

Jon

Bill A 05-10-17 05:28 PM

There were concerns expressed about the unofficial use of insignia, private purchase. Many times CHMQ or senior officers are documented as having issues with personnel using unauthorized insignia. There are incidents of 1 CID personnel wearing a patch with a maple leaf etc.

54Bty 05-10-17 05:34 PM

I do not know when the post ww2 designation came in, but, here is a 6 FD.

Marc

MarkGD 05-10-17 05:40 PM

RCA WW2 Epaulette Title? Reply to Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Jon/Bill,
Many thanks for the comments. See attached the one i missed out on, this i believe is a WW1 second brigade one as worn by his brother. Is this the one he is possibly wearing? His brothers uniform was repatriated, could he have used the badge? of interest, part of his family were tailors?
Regards Mark

MarkGD 05-10-17 05:47 PM

RCA WW2 Epaulette Title?

1 Attachment(s)
Marc,
Thank you for that, photo's i've seen of RCA seem to show variations, i think the photo shows he doesn't have one worn. I would like to get the correct badge assuming he wore it later, i appreciated there were changes i.e. the Canada tab moving from arm to shoulder, i was wondering if they had one like this prior to the black strips. Regards Mark

Bill A 05-10-17 06:23 PM

Hello Marc, The post war titles were authorized in 1948. They were smaller than the wartime ones and were to be worn in combination with the Royal Canadian Artillery shoulder arc.
MarkGD, the CII patch was a Second WW pattern. The First WW ones are dark blue, compared to the medium blue of this example. The slip-ons were worn for a period of time prior to the adoption of coloured embroidered titles. (Mark see your pm's)

MarkGD 05-10-17 06:30 PM

RCA WW2 Epaulette Title?

Bill,
Many thanks, just to confirm the slip on's were for great coats or both?
Regards Mark