British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Army formations depicted on Scout badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15986)

johnG 13-04-11 06:28 PM

Army formations depicted on Scout badges

2 Attachment(s)
Amongst my collection of Scout badges is a group for British Scouts in Western Europe where it seems pretty clear some army formations have been incorporated into their badges. I attach a pic of the BSWE badge for Rheindahlen District, which I believe I have put between British army formation signs for Northern command; I would be glad to have confirmation of that, and will somebody remind me please what army formation is represented by the badge for BSWE - the one with a cross on red backgorund.
Also I would be glad to know of any other army badges which have found their way onto Scout badges as I sense another field of collecting.

54Bty 13-04-11 07:24 PM

The first is 21st Army Group General HQ and Lines of Communications Formations, and the second is Nothern Army Group (NORTHAG).

johnG 13-04-11 07:35 PM

Thanks 54 Bty, that is exactly the information I was looking for, and I hope to get a lead to similar types of badges where army symbols or badges have been picked up in Scout badges.
Kind regards,
John

blackpowder44 13-04-11 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnG (Post 109280)
Thanks 54 Bty, that is exactly the information I was looking for, and I hope to get a lead to similar types of badges where army symbols or badges have been picked up in Scout badges.
Kind regards,
John

if you put cloth badge into ebay uk you will fing a lot of scout and girl guide badges and will find a number that have links to military cloth badges, john.

johnG 13-04-11 08:52 PM

Thanks Blackpowder. I keep an eye on eBay for the badges I still look for to complete my chosen field of collecting, but probaly miss some interesting ones through not recognising a military/scout connection.
I think another way of putting it might be 'Military heraldry in Scout badges'. I need to refine my thoughts on this a bit, but I think there is something out there, and am looking for a lead into it.

I have to confess that as well as tangling with the military for more years than was good for me, I was actively involved in the Scout movement for a period spanning over sixty years.

Cheers,
John

sapper533 06-05-16 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just came across my brothers Scout badges from 1971 when we lived in Italy, Dad was posted to AFSOUTH for 4 years.

Regards Sean

Badger44 08-05-16 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The two badges shown are a 'County' and a District badge.
I don't know whether of interest or not, but some individual Scout Groups also adopted actual formation signs for wear as Group badges, usually on the point of the scarf. I have attached a couple of scans from the badge books at Gilwell, showing the name of the Group and the approval date.
My main collection is of military cloth badges world wide (Formation signs, Unit badges), but I also was a leader in the Scout movement for a number of years and became interested in collecting Scout Group badges as well.
I hope these may be of interest.

54Bty 08-05-16 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger44 (Post 359191)
The two badges shown are a 'County' and a District badge.
I don't know whether of interest or not, but some individual Scout Groups also adopted actual formation signs for wear as Group badges, usually on the point of the scarf. I have attached a couple of scans from the badge books at Gilwell, showing the name of the Group and the approval date.
My main collection is of military cloth badges world wide (Formation signs, Unit badges), but I also was a leader in the Scout movement for a number of years and became interested in collecting Scout Group badges as well.
I hope these may be of interest.

Now if the last badge had been facing the other way, that would have answered a lot of questions.

Do you know if it was continued to be worn as an embroidered version?

Marc

Postwarden 12-05-16 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After a couple of weeks out of action after a knee op I was very interested to see this thread as the last issue of 2015 of The Formation Sign Journal of the Military Heraldry Society included an article of Scout Badges with military origins, a copy of which is attached.

The details provided by Blackpowder 44 make a fascinating addition.

Go to http://militaryheraldrysociety.com/ for details of how to join.

Jon

sapper533 04-05-18 10:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Spotted these on ebay and thought of this thread. Pics are a bit fuzzy

grey_green_acorn 04-05-18 11:52 AM

Kiepenkerl - Munster

The second shield shows the mysterious Kiepenkerl (man with stick). See
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...highlight=Reme

Tim

sapper533 04-05-18 12:16 PM

Yep I spotted it too as I have one in my REME album (probably incorrectly but does keep appearing with REME stuff)
Regards
Sean