British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Guards MG (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64910)

Sonofacqms 19-10-17 05:34 PM

Guards MG

4 Attachment(s)
I am currently sorting my Guards badges and as I have two of these I may offer one on the forum, I am happy with both of them, but I am putting them up for members opinions before advertising one as I know this is a well copied badge and I would hate to offer a dud.

One has had the slider replaced, but apart from that OK IMO.

Thanks for looking Rob

gb64 20-10-17 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 424938)
I am currently sorting my Guards badges and as I have two of these I may offer one on the forum, I am happy with both of them, but I am putting them up for members opinions before advertising one as I know this is a well copied badge and I would hate to offer a dud.

Thanks for looking Rob

Both look ok to me Rob

Gerard

Frank Kelley 20-10-17 07:49 AM

I certainly would not be happy with the example on the left.

Quote:

Thanks for looking Rob

Sonofacqms 20-10-17 10:13 AM

Guards MG

Gerard and Frank,

Many thanks for your thoughts on my badges, I would be interested to know exactly what is wrong with the left hand badge.

Rob

Paul Spellman 20-10-17 10:18 AM

I guess the false crimp on the slider gives it away
Paul

gb64 20-10-17 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Spellman (Post 425029)
I guess the false crimp on the slider gives it away
Paul

Hi all, the badge in itself looks good

Gerard

Sonofacqms 20-10-17 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Thanks for looking Rob

The badge in question with the over exagerated crimp mark is the one that I repaired, the slider came from a fake badge and as there was just the stub of the original left I soldered the replacement onto the stub.

I have added another pic showing my repair.

Rob

Alex Rice 21-10-17 05:37 AM

Nice solder-work!

Sonofacqms 21-10-17 09:00 AM

Soldering on

Thanks for the compliment Alex, I do try to restore badges to the original spec, although on this occasion I used a slider from a fake badge which seems to make people think it's not a good badge despite being identical to the one beside it.

Rob

Frank Kelley 22-10-17 07:49 AM

Hello Rob,
Looking at the badges, just from the photographs, I certainly would not say the badges were identical.
I do not like the reverse of the left hand example.
Regards Frank

Sonofacqms 22-10-17 08:07 AM

Guards MG

Frank,

This badge came to me some time back now with the stub left of the original slider left, as far as I can see it's as near as identical to the other as I can make out, I am not the greatest photographer on the forum by any means and maybe you are correct in saying it is not identical.

When I repair badges the heat used as you probably know is quite intense in the area where the repair is taking place and this does tend to darken the metal.

Rob

grenadierguardsman 22-10-17 10:49 PM

I must say the quality is better on the second badge. But that could mean it is just in a better condition.
Andy

Sonofacqms 23-10-17 09:25 AM

Guards MG

Andy,
You are indeed correct in saying the second badge is in better condition, I am not sure what happened to the first badge before it fell into my clutches several years ago, but most of the slider had been snapped off, it was then subjected to my heat treatment (not sure how hot) and had another slider added.
I then cleaned it up as best I could without being too severe and thats it, do I want two of them in my collection, or more to the point would any forum member want it in theirs?

Regards Rob

Rob Miller 23-10-17 11:01 AM

I wouldn't mind the first one in my collection as a broken original but I would have to remove the fake slider.

Rob

Sonofacqms 23-10-17 11:20 AM

Guards MG

So if I remove the duff slider and replace it with another would that be acceptable to offer it for sale?

Rob