British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Marples. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66457)

Frank Kelley 04-02-18 09:15 AM

Marples.

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have a date for these things, there seems to be a lot around at the moment?

fougasse1940 04-02-18 07:49 PM

Marples & Beasley existed from 1871 to 1991. Since then the name is claimed by Rebus Limited.

Rgds, Thomas

hagwalther 05-02-18 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 434917)
Does anyone have a date for these things, there seems to be a lot around at the moment?

Hi Frank,

It's a good badge.

Regards,

Chris

Frank Kelley 05-02-18 08:40 AM

Hello Chris,
What decade do you think are we in with these, 1970's, 1980's perhaps, or, is it simply not possible to say?
Regards Frank

hagwalther 05-02-18 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 434995)
Hello Chris,
What decade do you think are we in with these, 1970's, 1980's perhaps, or, is it simply not possible to say?
Regards Frank

Hi Frank,

The AAC cap badge in A/A was sealed on the 3rd Feb 1959 being notified by List of Changes change C 9220. This was following the War Office Dress Committe decision approving the sketch of the badge on 3rd Dec 1958. The dark blue backing was authorised on the 14th March 1958. The pattern no. of the badge was 17974 and NSN 8455-99-973-9466.

When looking into the history of Marples and Beasley I found little information on the company and not even a pattern card with a badge with this makers mark which was quite frustrating.

My gut feeling is that it is from the early 1960's and 1970's and not the 1980's but even though I use a Marples & Beasley example in my book I state 'Unknown' as to circa of the badge.

Regards,

Chris

Frank Kelley 05-02-18 01:55 PM

Hello Chris,
Okay, many thanks, I assume it cannot be 1990's, given the date from Thomas, well I would certainly be very happy indeed, with your own gut feeling, at least it was not made yesterday!
Regards Frank

hagwalther 05-02-18 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 435006)
Hello Chris,
Okay, many thanks, I assume it cannot be 1990's, given the date from Thomas, well I would certainly be very happy indeed, with your own gut feeling, at least it was not made yesterday!
Regards Frank

Hi Frank,

Certainly not 1990's. If I get a choice in maker of A/A cap badges I go for Marples & Beasley and Timings. Much scarcer that the more common Gaunt and Firmin examples.

Regards,

Chris

Frank Kelley 06-02-18 09:18 AM

Hello Chris,
Well, that is good to know, you mentioned sealed pattern cards, I don't think that I have ever seen an example of a marked badge by Marples actually upon one either, although, their name does occasionally appear on the reverse of some as one of the subsequent manufacturers.
Regards Frank

hagwalther 06-02-18 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 435043)
Hello Chris,
Well, that is good to know, you mentioned sealed pattern cards, I don't think that I have ever seen an example of a marked badge by Marples actually upon one either, although, their name does occasionally appear on the reverse of some as one of the subsequent manufacturers.
Regards Frank

Hi Frank,

Name on the back of the card just means that the card was lent out to the manufacturer for their inspection - it dies not necessarily mean that they followed up and made the badge.

Regards,

Chris

Frank Kelley 06-02-18 07:14 PM

Hello Chris,
Okay, that's interesting, I just assumed that a given manufacturer, who is shown on the reverse of a particular card, then went on to actually receive and complete an order, so some presumably did, whilst others did not?
Regards Frank

hagwalther 06-02-18 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 435085)
Hello Chris,
Okay, that's interesting, I just assumed that a given manufacturer, who is shown on the reverse of a particular card, then went on to actually receive and complete an order, so some presumably did, whilst others did not?
Regards Frank

Hi Frank,

Yes, the Standard Pattern or Working cards were issued out like a library book from the pattern room to any manufacturing company that took an interest in manufacturing a specific badge.

This is recorded on the back of the card by the company name, the date of issue and the voucher number held by the pattern room as a record of issue.

Depending on the contract conditions set by the MoD to supply a batch of badges a particular company may or may not have supplied items using the badge attached to the pattern card as a guide to manufacture.

The card was later returned by the manufacturing company to the pattern room after examination and the voucher number was crossed through. Note that Master Pattern cards were never lent out.

Regards,

Chris