British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WW1 17th Lancers cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65985)

Tweed 05-01-18 12:52 PM

WW1 17th Lancers cap badge

3 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen
Would I be correct in thinking this could be WW1 era?
It’s very nicely brooched and appears quite good workmanship
Kind regards Chay

Tweed 05-01-18 07:41 PM

Note the scar running down the forehead!
This is deemed to be negative?

Frank Kelley 05-01-18 08:38 PM

If I saw that, I think I'd probably have bought it, I don't think it is actually wrong, to go to the trouble of fitting an old pin and wire catch is not really something you would ever expect to see on complete dross.

grenadierguardsman 05-01-18 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 432101)
If I saw that, I think I'd probably have bought it, I don't think it is actually wrong, to go to the trouble of fitting an old pin and wire catch is not really something you would ever expect to see on complete dross.

Im glad you've posted this Frank, i felt the same way about it. I thought the bad " scar " went from ear to ear.
Andy

Tweed 05-01-18 09:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Indeed Frank,
Here is another! This time with slider and blacked !
Kind regards Chay

Lancer 17 06-01-18 03:35 AM

Re 17th Lancers Motto.

G'day Chay

What you have here is a 17th or 17th/21st Lancers Motto, it is never referred to as a "badge". If you read what it says is "Death or Glory".

The Motto with the scar on the forehead is regarded as having been struck from an obsolete set of dies and is usually disregarded by Regimental collectors.

This Motto has had its slider cut off and the stub of the slider is still there in the back of the skull. It looks as if at some time past the Motto has been converted to a sweetheart.

I hope that this helps

Phil.

Frank Kelley 06-01-18 03:54 PM

Interestingly, it has been and indeed is, often, referred to as a badge, by it's various manufacturers and both by the War Office and the Ministry of Defence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancer 17 (Post 432135)
G'day Chay

What you have here is a 17th or 17th/21st Lancers Motto, it is never referred to as a "badge". If you read what it says is "Death or Glory".

The Motto with the scar on the forehead is regarded as having been struck from an obsolete set of dies and is usually disregarded by Regimental collectors.

This Motto has had its slider cut off and the stub of the slider is still there in the back of the skull. It looks as if at some time past the Motto has been converted to a sweetheart.

I hope that this helps

Phil.

Rob Miller 06-01-18 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancer 17 (Post 432135)
G'day Chay

I hope that this helps

Phil.

So you don't call it a Motto when its converted to a sweetheart?

Rob

mike c 07-01-18 01:04 PM

motto

Hi in my opinion it is a motto whether it's a sweetheart brooch or a motto for military use

GriffMJ 17-01-18 08:05 AM

Its a good one...... there is a safety chain loop on the top as well. Converted cap motto.... possibly used on a Pagri.... but probably used as a lapel motto with the safety chain through the button hole.

mac mcconnell 17-01-18 11:12 PM

17th/21st

I also have a hallmarked collar done the same way to the 17th/21st Lancers

Mac

Frank Kelley 18-01-18 08:42 AM

I agree, it does look as though it has some age to it, as mentioned, if I had seen it, I would have bought it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 433282)
Its a good one...... there is a safety chain loop on the top as well. Converted cap motto.... possibly used on a Pagri.... but probably used as a lapel motto with the safety chain through the button hole.