British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help with ID (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5338)

Traist 21-02-09 10:05 AM

Please help with ID

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, This badge came to light in South Africa. I do not think that it is South African, can anybody positively ID it? Please let me know. Regards Andrew

wright241 21-02-09 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 32919)
Hi, This badge came to light in South Africa. I do not think that it is South African, can anybody positively ID it? Please let me know. Regards Andrew

Sizes please and what sort of fittings are on the back. These are always
difficult unless the letters can be clearly identified - otherwise you see
what you want to see..... It could be a pouch badge.
david

bgpipes 21-02-09 12:02 PM

Please help with ID?

:)I checked all the way through Mazeas pre-1914 book,not likely to be Canadian.

wright241 21-02-09 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traist (Post 32919)

I have no graphics software with me to try and isolate each
letter in turn and "remove" it - if you do, try it. it works most
of the time..... I will try and save the image and and do it at
my digs. Looks to me as if you have a W and a C at the end
and ## in the middle.

Traist 21-02-09 01:37 PM

Hi, Thank you for the comments so far. It looks like WVC. It has 3 screw fittings on the back. The sizes are, height about 50mm and width about 55mm. Please let me know if you find anything. Regards Andrew

boots and saddles 21-02-09 04:42 PM

[I]'m curious as to what the wreath is made up of, maybe holly on one side, but what's the other CRABGRASS? letters could be WVC? Interesting anyway.

41st 21-02-09 09:36 PM

The wreath appears to be made up of half laurel, half palm. I have examples of this type of wreath on some of my Victorian helmet plates, but don't recognise the lettering on this one.

Traist 22-02-09 10:31 AM

Thank you for all the comments so far.

Arthur 22-02-09 12:10 PM

Hi Andrew,

I believe your badge has a conection with The West Indies Regiments, note the wreath half laural/ [hazard a guess] half sugar cane!

Regards
Arthur

Traist 22-02-09 06:12 PM

Hi Arthur, I am starting to suspect that. Anybody out there know anything about the West Indies badges? Andrew

41st 22-02-09 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The palm part of a wreath looks like this one below on a 41st Regiment Helmet Plate, which is I believe as shown on the subject badge.

wright241 23-02-09 03:30 AM

I don't suppose that the C could stand for Constabulary.
I noticed this being used on a few South African pouch
ornaments...

Arthur 23-02-09 06:15 AM

Hi 41st,

Looking at your 41st [Welsh] helmet plate I would agree with you, even though I had originally thought that it looked similar to the West Indian Regts, as their wreaths are very similar. However, if I am right in thinking the 41st served in the W. Indies in the mid 1700's.

I had the VC part of the cypher down as Volunteer Corps.

Regards
Arthur

Traist 23-02-09 06:53 AM

Thank you. This is all very interesting. I agree on the Volunteer Corps, or Volunteer Cavalry. The question is what is the W? Hope somebody recognises it. Regards Andrew

Traist 25-02-09 08:23 AM

Well it looks like I will have to put it back into my box of unknowns. Thanks to all for trying to help. Andrew