British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Can anybody help with sword info? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64994)

Alex Rice 24-10-17 06:56 AM

Can anybody help with sword info?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All
A friend of mine has an old Russian Cossack sabre which his grandfather brought back from the Black Sea at the end of WWI. can anybody help with info or point me in the direction to get info about it? It's an amazing piece, you can see it was made for business and not show!
Thanks, cheers,
Alex

natal01 24-10-17 08:13 AM

It looks like a model 1865 infantry/ artillery officer's sword
Regards
Mike

Alex Rice 24-10-17 09:35 AM

No, there are cyrillic markings on the handle and blade.
Cheers,
Alex

manchesters 24-10-17 09:38 AM

Possibly the U.S. 1840 Model Artillery sabre in a Indian Pattern Mountain Artillery leather scabbard?

regards

Cribyn 24-10-17 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natal01 (Post 425519)
It looks like a model 1865 infantry/ artillery officer's sword
Regards
Mike

I would agree with Mike, it certainly looks like a Russian 1865 Pattern infantry/artillery officer's sword. Influenced by French design, as were a lot of US swords around this time.

Alex Rice 24-10-17 10:22 AM

Sorry, misunderstood Mike's comment, thought he meant British :o
Could well be 1865 pattern, I know nothing about swords...
Cheers,
Alex

Sunray9 24-10-17 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 425540)
Sorry, misunderstood Mike's comment, thought he meant British :o
Could well be 1865 pattern, I know nothing about swords...
Cheers,
Alex

It tends to hurt should you get whacked by one !! :D:D:D

Cribyn 24-10-17 12:07 PM

If you Google 'Russian sword 1865' you will find photos of swords which seem to be very much the same as your sword and scabbard.

Alex Rice 24-10-17 03:08 PM

Thanks, very useful.

dognose 25-10-17 11:02 AM

Wow... That brings back some memories. I had, from memory, the identical piece some fifty years ago, but unfortunately with mine the tip of the scabbard was damaged, meaning that sword never went completely home and was left sticking out about an inch.

I was told it was a souvenir from the Crimean War, but it now appears it was a little later.

Trev.

marybrads 13-11-17 09:03 AM

Hi. Your sword is the American model 1840 Mounted Artillery Troopers sword. It is a virtual copy of the French model 1829 Artillery Troopers sword. If you can source a copy of 'World Swords.' By Harvey Withers you will find your sword on page 211.The scabbard may not be original to the sword. It does bear resemblance to certain Russian scabbards but that is all. Many swords of many nations used very similar scabbards. I hope this post was helpful. Mary.

Cribyn 13-11-17 11:51 AM

Hello Mary

Not disagreeing with your identification (very difficult from just a photo) but how does this stand up bearing in mind Alex's comment above that "there are cyrillic markings on the handle and blade."?

Surely this would suggest a Russian rather than US origin? Or perhaps of US origin originally but pressed into Russian service at a later date and re-marked?

Roger