British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   144th Large Cap Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61537)

cefguy 26-04-17 12:20 PM

144th Large Cap Badge

4 Attachment(s)
All:
Just acquired what I think might be the large size 144th cap badge referred to on page 238 of the blue Charlton catalogue. Have taken a picture of what at first glance might appear to be a cap and two collars, but in fact might just be three cap badges. The large one is 53mm tall and 67mm wide. It has fine detail and is flat backed silver. Unfortunately the attachment device is missing. You can see the two points where either the E-W lugs have been removed or perhaps the pin back device has departed. Near the bottom of the center of the banner is maker mark "Ryrie" and beside that "Sterling", the marks do not show well in my photo. It is a very large badge when put beside the normal cap badges of the unit. Charlton speculates that it might be a pipers' badge or perhaps an RSM's cap badge. Appreciate any thoughts you folks might have on this badge. No matter what it is an interesting piece.
Don

Bill A 26-04-17 01:01 PM

Nice badge. As a rifles battalion, it may be a cross belt badge for a bandsman? (I think it is too large to be for an RSM.)
***Larry would really really like an image of this badge for the CEF badge book.***

cefguy 26-04-17 01:20 PM

Bill:
Interesting thought. I will forward it to Larry. Just picked it up yesterday.
Don

Bill A 26-04-17 01:49 PM

Thanks... I was just editing & proofing the 144th... and then you posted this image.

marway_wayne 26-04-17 03:14 PM

Don. Way back when I was collecting Manitoba badges I obtained this large badge. I was told at the time that it was a sleeve badge for the RSM and was cast in Winnipeg, likely by Mc Kenzie Clay. I have never seen a picture of it being worn or anything in writing about its use. I can say that all I have seen over the years where Cast. Hopefully this adds a bit to your inquiries. Wayne

cefguy 26-04-17 03:21 PM

Wayne:
I thank you for the input. With an item like this I think that every little bit helps. When you think of it the badge is only 2mm wider than a standard artillery cap badge. I think the sleeve theory is a good one as is the cross belt idea. It could still be worn on a cap although I guess it would look a little large. one day a photo will turn up no doubt with this badge worn in one of those positions.
Thanks
Don

redman 27-04-17 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
This was sold in April 2014 marked Tiptaft and sterling.
Kind regards

Bill A 27-04-17 09:12 PM

This one is marked Ryrie on the reverse.

cefguy 28-04-17 04:36 AM

RM:
Wow, sounds like there was at least three makers of this one. It gets even more interesting.
Thank you
Don