British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Elementary, my dear Watson... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54486)

dobw 14-06-16 11:01 PM

Elementary, my dear Watson...

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry, not to me! Are these badges real, restrikes, or fakes? If genuine, what periods are we talking about? I assume the third badge has to do with light infantry, but is it a cap badge, collar dog, or something else? What regiment is it from? While I have the badge experts on the line, would you kindly have a look at the Ayrshire Yeomanry badge I posted last week? I got a comment about its period, but nothing regarding originality. I probably posted it in the wrong place...

Thanks for your help!

Alan O 15-06-16 07:59 AM

The SAS is probably a copy I am afraid. There are genuine brass and bi-metal ones but that one looks too much like to modern repros.

The RMLI looks OK but it always hard to tell with one piece badges like that. They have been restruck but the copies generally have poor reverse detail. It's difficult to see with the slider in the way but if the reverse is well struck then it's most likely OK.

The bugle horn is of interest and warrants further research as to what it is exactly. It's one I would be interested in if you ever want to part with it.

Alex Rice 15-06-16 11:20 AM

Bugle horn looks like it may be the upper part of a 2-piece RMLI badge.

dobw 15-06-16 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 364591)
Bugle horn looks like it may be the upper part of a 2-piece RMLI badge.

Following your lead, I checked the archives and found several examples of RMLI bugles that appeared to be exact matches. That's good enough for me.

grey_green_acorn 15-06-16 08:44 PM

RMLI Glengarry Badge

1 Attachment(s)
This is an example of the complete three part badge. The Globe in the centre of the wreath has a single lug and when separated often ends up with buttons.

Tim

dobw 16-06-16 04:21 AM

So, what is killing me right now is the thought that I might have left the other two parts of the badge on the table, when I purchased this piece almost forty years ago...

Tinto 16-06-16 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 364668)
This is an example of the complete three part badge. The Globe in the centre of the wreath has a single lug and when separated often ends up with buttons.

Tim

Hi Tim, and others,

Is this bugle badge for RMLI the same as the bugle badge worn as part of the shoulder title for Light Infantry regiments?

Cheers,

Tinto

Alex Rice 16-06-16 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 364705)
Hi Tim, and others,

Is this bugle badge for RMLI the same as the bugle badge worn as part of the shoulder title for Light Infantry regiments?

Cheers,

Tinto

No, I don't think so. It's quite distinctive.
Cheers,
Alex