British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indian Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Taj Mahal mystery badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52548)

gurkharifles 27-03-16 09:18 AM

Taj Mahal mystery badge

I saw an interesting badge amongst a collection of Indian Military badges - ( sorry no photo ) - but it was simply a finely cast bronze relief of the Taj Mahal - with lugs and made by Gaunt of London. I can't think of any military unit that would have that badge -unless there's some obscure Princely State force?
Is it more likely to be a corps of guides for the monument ? Anyone seen something similar ? Tim

peter monahan 28-03-16 01:08 PM

Never heard of it, so my guess would be the same as yours: the corp of guides [not to be confused with THE Corps of Guides] for the monument. Pity there's no photo!

gurkharifles 28-03-16 01:51 PM

Thanks Peter - I'll try and get a photo next time I visit the collection.

pinfrin 28-03-16 10:29 PM

AVRC perhaps. Raised 1878 ?

gurkharifles 29-03-16 08:21 AM

AVRC ? Who are they and do they have a similar insignia?

pinfrin 29-03-16 11:00 AM

T. Mahal - Agra

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurkharifles (Post 353235)
AVRC ? Who are they and do they have a similar insignia?

Agra Volunteer Rifle Corps (09 Aug 1878) ->
19th Agra Company (01 April 1917) ->
17th Agra Field Battery (01 Oct 1920)

Just a guess. [T. Mahal ~ Agra] Chris Kempton's Vol Forces
Book does not, however, illustrate / describe the Agra badge.

Perhaps someone with A. Nath's Sowars Book may find an Agra
description.

Seen some Indian (& other) badges with
local 'buildings / structures' on, e.g.
Lucknow, Cawnpore, Malacca VRs;
44th Merwara Inf, Ajmer, Afridi Regts;
3rd Brahmans (collar) 16th Rajputs.

Regards

peter monahan 29-03-16 02:31 PM

I'll try to sit down with Sowars and Sepoys some time soon, but the description isn't ringing any bells.

Piffer 05-04-16 04:26 PM

The Agra Volunteer Rifles , an AFI unit wore the badge of the Taj Mahal.

Wmr-RHB 05-04-16 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffer (Post 354525)
The Agra Volunteer Rifles , an AFI unit wore the badge of the Taj Mahal.

This is a bit confusing to me. The AFI existed from 1920 - 1947. As pinfrin posted above, the designation was then No. 17 (Agra) Field Battery.

Do you mean that the Taj Mahal badge was worn by No. 17 Field Battery, or do you mean that the badge was worn by The Agra Volunteer Rifles Corps before 1917 (and probably by 19th Agra Company when it was designated as such in the Indian Defence Force)?

peter monahan 06-04-16 02:22 PM

Sorry, I wasn't reading carefully enough! Ashaok's WWI book lists badges for regular units of the cavalry and infantry and some State Forces, but none of the volunteers. :(

Piffer 07-04-16 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB (Post 354531)
This is a bit confusing to me. The AFI existed from 1920 - 1947. As pinfrin posted above, the designation was then No. 17 (Agra) Field Battery.

Do you mean that the Taj Mahal badge was worn by No. 17 Field Battery, or do you mean that the badge was worn by The Agra Volunteer Rifles Corps before 1917 (and probably by 19th Agra Company when it was designated as such in the Indian Defence Force)?

Not sure about exact dates but appears to be pre 1917, that would be as the Agra Volunteer Rifle Corps. Their first badge was the letters AVR within a garter shaped scroll inscribed Agra Volunteer Rifle Corps, a laurel wreath surmounted by a Victorian Crown, this changed to another design see image which had the Taj Mahal incorporated as a badge, the title of the unit then was Agra Volunteer Rifles, the image is of a SBP in silver.Attachment 146384

pinfrin 08-04-16 05:26 AM

Cox ref.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter monahan (Post 354643)
Sorry, I wasn't reading carefully enough! Ashaok's WWI book lists badges for regular units of the cavalry and infantry and some State Forces, but none of the volunteers. :(

Perhaps a member with the Book 'Military Badges of the British Empire 1914- 18 Cox, Reginald H.W.' may help as this book would certainly have at least one version of an Agra Badge. Thanks in advance folks.

Tinto 08-04-16 07:36 AM

Hi Pinfrin,
Cox's book has on page 297, Fig.2683, a drawing of a largish badge (about 64mm x 42mm), King's or Imperial Crown/Maltese Cross/Bugle in centre of circlet with "Agra Volunteer Rifle Corps".
Cheers, Tinto

peter monahan 08-04-16 01:06 PM

So, back to the original query, can we conclude that a Gaunt 'Taj Mahal' badge, without any lettering on it is likely a collar bagde, as opposed to a cap badge, for the 17th Battery [Agra] and/or the Agra VRs/ 19th [IDF]?

pinfrin 08-04-16 01:51 PM

xxx