British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Scarce Police button? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53886)

Kevin Elliott 22-05-16 08:04 PM

Scarce Police button?

I'm a retired Hampshire Constabulary officer, living on the Isle of Wight, which is the second county covered by the Hampshire Constabulary. I was aware that there was an independent IOW Constabulary pre-WW2.
I was recently rummaging for badges in a local junk shop when I found a lonely button. Very tarnished, it may even have been in the ground at some point. As it was with military badges, I assumed it was a military button but could make out the words "Borough Police" but not the name of the town preceding that.
Took it home for pennies and got to work with soap and a toothbrush.
I was surprised to reveal the name "Ryde Borough Police". Well, living in Ryde and that's where the shop was, I suppose it shouldn't be such a surprise but I had never heard of it before.
After a bit of research I discovered that the first force on the island was set up in 1837 - the Newport Borough Police. The rest of the island was covered by the Hampshire Constabulary with the exception, from 1869, of Ryde, which had its own Borough force. This remained so until 1922, when following the Police Act 1919, the increased pay and pensions meant the borough could no longer afford its own police. I found a photo from that time and it appears that the eleven men in it, including the Chief Constable and two sergeants, was the entire force!
I'm delighted with this find, albeit probably not worth any more than the few pennies it cost me. Given that the force has been gone for nearly 100yrs and the very limited number of officers, it must be on the rare side?
The maker details on the back is Hebbert & Co., London. I found a thread on another forum which suggests that it dates from 1852 to 1895. Can anyone confirm or otherwise add to that information please?

Roy 22-05-16 08:11 PM

Hi Kevin,

What a great story, just the thing collecting is all about. I can't add anything of worth but hope other can. However in the meantime and chance of a photo or two of your new treasure?

Cheers, Roy.

altcar73 22-05-16 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott (Post 361292)
I'm a retired Hampshire Constabulary officer, living on the Isle of Wight, which is the second county covered by the Hampshire Constabulary. I was aware that there was an independent IOW Constabulary pre-WW2.
I was recently rummaging for badges in a local junk shop when I found a lonely button. Very tarnished, it may even have been in the ground at some point. As it was with military badges, I assumed it was a military button but could make out the words "Borough Police" but not the name of the town preceding that.
Took it home for pennies and got to work with soap and a toothbrush.
I was surprised to reveal the name "Ryde Borough Police". Well, living in Ryde and that's where the shop was, I suppose it shouldn't be such a surprise but I had never heard of it before.
After a bit of research I discovered that the first force on the island was set up in 1837 - the Newport Borough Police. The rest of the island was covered by the Hampshire Constabulary with the exception, from 1869, of Ryde, which had its own Borough force. This remained so until 1922, when following the Police Act 1919, the increased pay and pensions meant the borough could no longer afford its own police. I found a photo from that time and it appears that the eleven men in it, including the Chief Constable and two sergeants, was the entire force!
I'm delighted with this find, albeit probably not worth any more than the few pennies it cost me. Given that the force has been gone for nearly 100yrs and the very limited number of officers, it must be on the rare side?
The maker details on the back is Hebbert & Co., London. I found a thread on another forum which suggests that it dates from 1852 to 1895. Can anyone confirm or otherwise add to that information please?

Ryde Borough Police used two patterns of button. The dates you quote obviously coincide with their period of existence. I have a fairly comprehensive collection of insignia (including buttons) for the former Isle of Wight Constabulary, Newport (IOW) Borough Police and Ryde Borough Police. I'm attaching a photo of the Ryde Borough Police insignia I have.

Dave.

Irv 22-05-16 09:04 PM

Hi Kevin,
I also live on the Island, but at the other end (Freshwater). Also Ex job (retired 2012). I had no idea how the IOW police were set up but what you have found out sounds very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for buttons and insignia from the Islands police if you like? You never know what might turn up at this end of the IOW:).
Regards
Irv:)

Kevin Elliott 22-05-16 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 361296)
Ryde Borough Police used two patterns of button. The dates you quote obviously coincide with their period of existence. I have a fairly comprehensive collection of insignia (including buttons) for the former Isle of Wight Constabulary, Newport (IOW) Borough Police and Ryde Borough Police. I'm attaching a photo of the Ryde Borough Police insignia I have.

Dave.

Blimey Dave. Now I know why I've not seen any on the island before...you've got them all. The one I found is the one on your second row down, on the left hand side.
I'd like to see photos of the Newport Borough and IOW Constabulary items if you'd be so kind mate.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Kevin Elliott 22-05-16 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 361304)
Hi Kevin,
I also live on the Island, but at the other end (Freshwater). Also Ex job (retired 2012). I had no idea how the IOW police were set up but what you have found out sounds very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for buttons and insignia from the Islands police if you like? You never know what might turn up at this end of the IOW:).
Regards

Hi Irv.,
Please do let me know if you turn up anything island police-related.
Also, have you found anything to 8th Btn Hampshires (Isle of Wight Rifles)? I'm always keen to acquire anything from that source.
Don't tell me, you must be ex-Met if you can afford the posh side of the island:D
Regards,
Kevin.

Irv 22-05-16 11:04 PM

Hi Kevin,

Ex Sussex, Ex Met:D

I haven't seen anything 8th Btn but I will watch out for you. There is a guy who has a stall every Friday at the village hall. He sells some interesting items that are of local interest. I'll ask him this week if he has anything along those lines.

Regards

altcar73 23-05-16 07:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott (Post 361311)
Blimey Dave. Now I know why I've not seen any on the island before...you've got them all. The one I found is the one on your second row down, on the left hand side.
I'd like to see photos of the Newport Borough and IOW Constabulary items if you'd be so kind mate.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Kevin,

As requested I'm attaching photos of the insignia etc. from Newport (I.o.W.) Borough Police and the Isle of Wight Constabulary. The photo of the illuminated scroll is of a presentation made to Special Constable Edward CORDNER for his services to the Borough of Ryde during the 1st WW. Mr. CORDNER's SC badges are shown with the Ryde Borough Police insignia above.

As an aside Mr. CORDNER lived with his wife at "Weston", Ratcliffe Avenue, Ryde and was a retired District Commissioner of the Colonial Service. He died in December 1937 aged 66 years. His wife, Emmeline, an Artist, died in March 1962 aged 87 years. Both died in Ryde. I hope you find these of interest.

Dave.

manchesters 23-05-16 08:14 AM

Dave,

You never fail to amaze me with your fantastic Police collection.
Superb examples indeed.

regards

altcar73 23-05-16 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 361347)
Dave,

You never fail to amaze me with your fantastic Police collection.
Superb examples indeed.

regards

Simon,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you appreciate them.

Best wishes, Dave.

Kevin Elliott 23-05-16 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by altcar73 (Post 361342)
Kevin,

As requested I'm attaching photos of the insignia etc. from Newport (I.o.W.) Borough Police and the Isle of Wight Constabulary. The photo of the illuminated scroll is of a presentation made to Special Constable Edward CORDNER for his services to the Borough of Ryde during the 1st WW. Mr. CORDNER's SC badges are shown with the Ryde Borough Police insignia above.

As an aside Mr. CORDNER lived with his wife at "Weston", Ratcliffe Avenue, Ryde and was a retired District Commissioner of the Colonial Service. He died in December 1937 aged 66 years. His wife, Emmeline, an Artist, died in March 1962 aged 87 years. Both died in Ryde. I hope you find these of interest.

Dave.

Thanks very much for adding these photos Dave. I am truly envious.
Coincidentally, my son lives in Ratcliffe Ave. I'll see if the named property "Weston" still exists.
Here's a thing - those chromed buttons with overlapping IW in the centre...I know where there are a couple of those. I didn't know they were for the police and neither does the bloke who's got them in his shop - they will be my next addition.
At least now I know what to look out for when I don't find it!

Cheers mate.

Kevin.

altcar73 23-05-16 03:42 PM

Kevin,

You are more than welcome. Best of luck with the buttons.

Best wishes, Dave.

Kevin Elliott 25-05-16 12:52 PM

Bought the IOW Constabulary buttons

Here you go Dave, thanks to your photo identifying the IOW Constabulary buttons, I've now bought them.

Kevin.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=130110

altcar73 25-05-16 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott (Post 361647)
Here you go Dave, thanks to your photo identifying the IOW Constabulary buttons, I've now bought them.

Kevin.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=130110

Kevin,

Well done! Are they white metal or chrome plated?

Dave.

Kevin Elliott 25-05-16 05:26 PM

I reckon they are white metal, like we see on bi-metal cap badges, as not the hard, even and glinty finish of chrome.
Plain brass backed with no m.m.

Kind regards,

Kevin.