British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   SAS cap badge and jump wings (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63506)

High Wood 06-08-17 10:15 AM

SAS cap badge and jump wings

4 Attachment(s)
These turned up in a house clearance lot and whilst the pale blue of the winged dagger has washed out in my photograph it is definitely there.

As these are the first SAS badges that I have ever owned I would be pleased to hear your thoughts about their authenticity, good or bad.

airtrooper 06-08-17 03:10 PM

All good mate. Circa 1970-80's.

High Wood 06-08-17 08:49 PM

Excellent. Many thanks.

johanwiegman 07-08-17 08:05 AM

Beret badge

Hi,

Please note that beret badge is unshaped, as issued and also as sold by military tailors at the time. They would be cut into a shield shape and sewn on the beret. This explains the wide variations of beret badge shapes!

Cheers,

Johan

Unknownsoldier 08-08-17 07:20 AM

Yes Johan, and the sometimes bizarrely off centre shields.....

High Wood 08-08-17 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johanwiegman (Post 415884)
Hi,

Please note that beret badge is unshaped, as issued and also as sold by military tailors at the time. They would be cut into a shield shape and sewn on the beret. This explains the wide variations of beret badge shapes!

Cheers,

Johan

Many thanks.

johanwiegman 08-08-17 01:56 PM

Mutilated beret badges

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier (Post 416030)
Yes Johan, and the sometimes bizarrely off centre shields.....

You are quite right, mate!

It is not so easy, even for an experienced tailor, to cut a proper shield shape. I have seen a lot of weird shapes, some beret badges sewn on uncut and some beret badges absolutely FUBAR!

Cheers,

Johan

Unknownsoldier 09-08-17 06:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Agreed Johan:

High Wood 21-08-17 11:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
These two later wings came from the same house clearance bloke as the first two wings and SAS cloth badge. It seems that he is clearing a house where an elderly relative collected badges and the family are disposing of his collection. There are a few nice items and a lot of mundane items.

Your thoughts on these three items would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Alan O 21-08-17 11:16 AM

The wings are very modern Special Forces Communicators wings for 18 Sig Regt. They started to be worn circa 2012/13.

High Wood 21-08-17 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan O (Post 417525)
The wings are very modern Special Forces Communicators wings for 18 Sig Regt. They started to be worn circa 2012/13.

Many thanks, I do wonder where the old boy was getting this stuff from. That said, Shropshire isn't a million miles from Hereford.

Simon.