British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Home Front (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Aust Home Front navy badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64661)

Jackhr 04-10-17 06:47 AM

Aust Home Front navy badge

2 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen how rare and what value would one of these beasts be??

Regards Rob

Chipper 04-10-17 09:49 AM

Interesting, Rob.

In my short time looking into these, I have seen them issued by the "Department of Defence" but not by the "Navy Department".

A search reveals the Department of the Navy wasn't created until WW2, before it was the Navy Office inside the Department of defence.

So it seems a strange one, could it be a WW2 issue? The problem with that is most other badges changed design so not sure why they would keep this one the same.

Hopefully someone 'in the know' will have a proper answer.

Cheers, Tim

Investment 04-10-17 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 423100)
Gentlemen how rare and what value would one of these beasts be??

Regards Rob

Some ebay bidders believe it's worth $$$, as can be seen on the link below !!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-WW1-...YAAOSw9y1ZyzeH

Chipper 04-10-17 10:13 AM

Strangely, it was listed last week I think, got to A$750, was ended with 5-odd days to go, and now re-listed?

Thanks for linking it.

Cheers, Tim

PS, I now see the seller has explained why the auction was cancelled and restarted, nice to see that.

woronora 04-10-17 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

A very interesting badge. I can't find this particular one listed in 'Australian Wat Badges of WW 1 and 2' which is the authoritative review of such official badges by Graham Donley. He does, however, discuss a Navy Volunteer for Home Service badge on page 4, which is different to the one listed on eBay. I have attached a copy. The listed badge may have been one that slipped under the radar when Donley was compiling his book which would make the badge exceptionally rare.

I don't doubt the integrity of the seller of this badge. I have bought from him in the past and have found him to be an honest person.

Regards

John

slick_mick 04-10-17 08:23 PM

I would rate is one of the rarer ones - certainly not a badge you see very often. I've not seen one before (but have come across all the other volunteered for active service badges).

Mick

Jackhr 04-10-17 09:01 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

badgecollector 04-10-17 09:49 PM

the badge is listed in Clive Johnson's book
bc

Investment 05-10-17 02:21 AM

Volunteer - Home Service Badge - RAN

1 Attachment(s)
Source: Australians Awarded 2nd Edition Clive Johnson Renniks Publications

Jackhr 11-10-17 07:22 AM

Well it finally sold for $1640 au which I think is an unbelievable price even for a rare badge:eek:

Chipper 11-10-17 07:58 AM

Blimey!!!! That's a very aggressive price. Sure, they are obviously rare, and I suppose there is not much in previous sales to compare to, but it just seems a big price to me.

edit: I should add as a firm believer that it is an individuals prerogative to pay as much as they want for something, I didn't mean to come across as saying this is the wrong price, just a large price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 423959)
Well it finally sold for $1640 au which I think is an unbelievable price even for a rare badge:eek:

dumdum 12-10-17 02:00 AM

Hi all

My one came off eBay years back long before they were "prized".

Any comments on that "Enlisted in A.I.F. 1916" badge that I posted before?

badgecollector 12-10-17 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 424049)
Hi all

never seen one before but to be honest probably never really looked that closely. I will from now on
bc

Chipper 12-10-17 12:19 PM

Ive gone back over all the ones I've seen on the various sites, and cannot see another, but like bc, I'll be paying more attention now...

Cheers, Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 424049)
Hi all