British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gloucestershire Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61401)

Anjoucollector 21-04-17 10:30 AM

Gloucestershire Regiment

2 Attachment(s)
I have this beret of the Gloucestershire Regiment with cap badge and back badge. Is the cap badge usually worn on a green square backing ? The "Badge Backings & Special Embelishments of the British Army" book doesn't make mention of it. Thank you

Toby Purcell 21-04-17 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjoucollector (Post 402187)
I have this beret of the Gloucestershire Regiment with cap badge and back badge. Is the cap badge usually worn on a green square backing ? The "Badge Backings & Special Embelishments of the British Army" book doesn't make mention of it. Thank you

The green patch is of the shade used by the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (known as Lincoln Green) and not correct for the 'Glosters'. I think that a dealer has placed Glosters insignia on the WFR beret because the famous 'back badge' makes it more appealing to collectors. The Glosters did not wear a coloured patch on their beret.

Anjoucollector 21-04-17 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have some doubts too, but the patch is substantially larger than the patch of Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment and Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). It really seems to have been cut for Glosters badge

Alan O 21-04-17 03:49 PM

It is not correct for the Glosters.

Toby Purcell 21-04-17 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjoucollector (Post 402236)
I have some doubts too, but the patch is substantially larger than the patch of Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment and Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). It really seems to have been cut for Glosters badge

I can see what you mean about the size of the patch, but the Glosters did not adopt such a patch and it's colour is distinctively that of the WFR. I imagine it was added by a dealer. Whatever its origin, it is incorrect, I assure you.

Anjoucollector 21-04-17 05:59 PM

You confirm what I was afraid. Regards

leigh kitchen 24-04-17 06:43 PM

Could the backing patch be original to the beret, worn by attached personnel wearing a wider cap badge than that of the WFR?

Alan O 25-04-17 08:58 AM

REME, AGC, Signals, RLC, RASC etc are all much narrower.

leigh kitchen 25-04-17 10:03 AM

Without wishing to trap myself in the endless reel of "Ah, but what if.....?" , I suppose there's always the possibility of "any" unit badge being worn by an attached, and depending on the age of the beret now defunct badges such as RAPC?
Any chance the Gloster's badges would've been worn by a Gloster attached to WFR?