British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   WW2 SAS 'SANDY' COLOURED BERET - Advice Please (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61394)

Mike B 21-04-17 07:28 AM

WW2 SAS 'SANDY' COLOURED BERET - Advice Please

6 Attachment(s)
I am incredibly lucky to have acquired an early WW2 SAS Sandy coloured beret many years ago. As can be seen, the badge is larger than usual and I believe it to be early.

I would welcome any thoughts that may help date the badge and beret.

In 'Some Talk of Private Armies' Len Whittaker notes 'The slightly different, wider version was probably due to a change of manufacturer rather than a deliberate design revision'.

The beret and badge are mounted in a glazed frame. I imagine this WW2 variant badge is quite rare and felt I should share it in the hope someone more expert is such matters can advise me.

For comparison I add images of the more Standard later WW2 pattern (this one attributed to Maj Bill Cumper - Demolitions Officer) and an earlier pattern.

All the best
Mike

HamandJam 21-04-17 08:11 AM

Mike,

What a cracking items. IMO the badge is c1942 and beret as well.

The other early badge may be 41/42. Fantastic items. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
JB

Mike B 21-04-17 08:15 AM

Hello J-B
Your expert opinion is greatly appreciated. I had similar thoughts but was not sure, your advice means a lot. Your own SAS album/collection is amazing!
All the best
Mike

arnhem2280 21-04-17 08:29 AM

WW2 SAS 'Sandy' coloured beret-Advice please

Hi Mike

Thats a great beret. The badge is an early one. I'll post a couple on here for you to compare it with later today.

Cheers

Arnhem

Mike B 21-04-17 08:48 AM

Hi Arnhem
Great to hear from you - your advice is always appreciated
Mike

JON188 21-04-17 09:32 AM

Amazing pieces gentlemen.
Now I know where all the great ww2 pieces go lol

HamandJam 21-04-17 09:45 AM

Thanks Mike,

The early SAS badges were made by John Jones of Cairo.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers
JB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike B (Post 402156)
Hello J-B
Your expert opinion is greatly appreciated. I had similar thoughts but was not sure, your advice means a lot. Your own SAS album/collection is amazing!
All the best
Mike

Mike B 21-04-17 09:58 AM

JB - Great information as ever

Jon - Thanks ... I have lots of SF gaps to fill, just lucky with these, I think it was easier to collect such items in the past; despite the later advantages of Computer searches and forums such as our B&CMBF.

Mike

manchesters 21-04-17 10:15 AM

Its nice to see a 100% original wartime SAS beret and badge.

A superb piece of history.

regards

Mike B 21-04-17 10:30 AM

Simon - many thanks, your comments are appreciated.
Mike

Jack8 21-04-17 11:57 AM

Hi Mike,

A superb early WW2 beret and badge. This highly desirable beret is a "till death us do part" item in my opinion and would be the highlight of most SAS collections.

As the so called TV antique experts say, "Find me another one".

Cheers,
Jack

Mike B 21-04-17 12:39 PM

Thanks Jack - your opinion is always valued. I consider myself very lucky to have found this many years ago.
Mike

HamandJam 21-04-17 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is Paddy Maine wearing his sand beret with a late war badge. He ignored to wear the maroon beret of the airborne forces and also authorized old hands to do so hence mixture maroon and sand berets in 44/45.

Cheers,
JB

Mike B 21-04-17 01:24 PM

J-B
Very interesting - thanks for sharing
Mike

arnhem2280 21-04-17 03:36 PM

WW2 SAS 'Sandy' coloured beret-Advice please

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike

As promised a photo of three early beret badges from the Desert days.