British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   SSF Pipes and Drums (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4041)

1stmotors 04-11-08 12:49 AM

SSF Pipes and Drums

I realise this is more recent, but

Phillip Herring 04-11-08 01:33 AM

I can't see clearly. Are you wearing the sporran badge (mini of the cap)? I ask because I have one. One of the perks of being posted Petawawa.

1stmotors 04-11-08 02:04 AM

That was worn on the Leather or battle sporran. I have two or three of them. Hold on to it as they are getting valuable. I sold

bgpipes 04-11-08 11:29 AM

Good looking outfit!

Gmornin buddie!, good looking outfit!, I once played in a band that wore that tartan,pleated to the line. (military) my band wears red Erskine now. Northwest Indiana Pipes and Drums. Do you play in a band currently? Which one? Regards,Bill Ellis.:D

1stmotors 04-11-08 12:15 PM

Good to hear from you bgpipes. The most recent Band I played with, was The Windsor Police Pipe Band of Windsor Ontario, I left

Royal Cdn Dragoon 04-11-08 05:25 PM

I played with the band 96-03 after it changed names to 2nd Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Pipes & Drums (2 CMBG P&D). I was principally the Drum Major and also the 2nd Bass Drummer. Our former CDS when he was 2nd Brigade Commander was really fond of the band, so much that when he was posted to Fort Hood after Petawawa, he had the band down to play at his promotion parade and post parade reception (garden party at his house). The current PM is over here in Kandahar at TFK HQ as well as a couple of current and former band mbrs. Once my tour is finished and I return home next month, I'll dig out some 2 CMBG P&D pictures and badges to post.

I recognize a couple of pers such as Scotty Durant, Brian Fisher and maybe Bobby Smith ???

As an aside 1st Motors I am formerly from Windsor, now posted too and living in St. John's NL.

Bill A 04-11-08 06:42 PM

What was worn on the shirt order dress for slip-ons? The CANADA nationality title or did the band have a special slip-on?

1stmotors 04-11-08 06:58 PM

Hi Bill I wore the standard Canada slip on, still have them. I'm not sure of the other players. I believe Canada as well.

1stmotors 04-11-08 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Cdn Dragoon (Post 25910)
I played with the band 96-03 after it changed names to 2nd Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Pipes & Drums (2 CMBG P&D). I was principally the Drum Major and also the 2nd Bass Drummer. Our former CDS when he was 2nd Brigade Commander was really fond of the band, so much that when he was posted to Fort Hood after Petawawa, he had the band down to play at his promotion parade and post parade reception (garden party at his house). The current PM is over here in Kandahar at TFK HQ as well as a couple of current and former band mbrs. Once my tour is finished and I return home next month, I'll dig out some 2 CMBG P&D pictures and badges to post.

I recognize a couple of pers such as Scotty Durant, Brian Fisher and maybe Bobby Smith ???

As an aside 1st Motors I am formerly from Windsor, now posted too and living in St. John's NL.

Hi good to hear from you. I spoke to some of the 2ND Mech Bde P & D members at the Highland Games last year and year before, it was good to see the band still going. I have video on VHS of the SSF band in 1991 at Barrie, Chatham and Sarnia Highland Games.

bgpipes 04-11-08 09:30 PM

Windsor Police Pipe Band

The last time I saw them was at the Alma,Michigan games a couple of years ago, those guys were GOOD, and were winning everything in sight,they went on to gr. 1 the next season. We compete in gr.4,and have had some local success. Ciao!:cool:

1stmotors 04-11-08 10:32 PM

Hi bgpipes When I played with SSF we were competing in Grade 4 and won Champion Supreme two years in a row.
I enjoyed the Grade 4 more than anything else, because the Grade 1 and Grade 2 players, even though they were great, many were the prima donna types strutting about the games as if no one else mattered, at least that is the way I found it to be.
As far as competition bands, I enjoy best, a good street parade band any day.

bgpipes 05-11-08 12:34 AM

Street bands!

I agree Tom, We have only 2, gr.2 bands,locally, and oh boy, the "bagpipe snobbery" is thick and heavy at the games. I have been collecting Canadian badges for 30 years or so, and lately, that seems to have been taking up most of my leisure time. :confused:

tynesideirish 05-11-08 05:26 PM

Hi Tom, Any chance that you've a close pic of your SSF hat badge? Regards Mike

1stmotors 05-11-08 10:16 PM

Hi Mike, I have the Cap badge which was worn on a dark

1stmotors 05-11-08 11:05 PM

SSF Cap, Sporran and collar badges

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/...3016736600.jpg