British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   3x FIRMIN RA a/a all different. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33495)

tonyb 26-07-13 12:27 PM

3x FIRMIN RA a/a all different.

1 Attachment(s)
Over time, these three Royal Artillery,larger size a/a badges have made their way into my hands.
Two are with an attached wheel the other is not, all three badges have differently marked sliders. Is there a chronological order these badges can be put into?
I would guess, the badge with the large FIRMIN font is the latest, the reason being I've several post anodised improved metal badges with this font.
Thanks Tony.

GriffMJ 26-07-13 12:31 PM

Tony

That "FIRMIN&SONS" Makers mark...... any chance of a good close up of the mark on the slider please?

Would "Hagwalther" pass all three AA's as genuine?

There is a good reason for my questions :)

tonyb 26-07-13 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Better rear image.

GriffMJ 26-07-13 01:01 PM

Thanks Tony

A couple of new posts have been put up under the Firmin Makers Marks threads...

tonyb 26-07-13 01:09 PM

FIRMIN&SONS

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go Griff.

GriffMJ 26-07-13 01:13 PM

Tony

Is that an early AA then..... the back of the badge certainly appears to be that sort of period?

Mike H 26-07-13 09:31 PM

The top one is the old one

hagwalther 26-07-13 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyb (Post 221562)
Over time, these three Royal Artillery,larger size a/a badges have made their way into my hands.
Two are with an attached wheel the other is not, all three badges have differently marked sliders. Is there a chronological order these badges can be put into?
I would guess, the badge with the large FIRMIN font is the latest, the reason being I've several post anodised improved metal badges with this font.
Thanks Tony.

Hi Tony,

There are two distinct, and officially authorised, RA cap badges from a design point of view i.e. one was designed for the cap and the other for the beret. Just to confuse things further the beret badge comes in two different sizes.

OK, we all knew this. However, within the two head dress variations there are single part and multi-part variations. These badges also have a few other differences too. The variations that I am talking about here were all officially authorised and not manufacturers 'differences'.

In effect then, there are four officially authorised A/A cap badges - take a look at page 546 in Appendix 4: Authorised Cap Badges where there is about a three quarters of page dedicated to the A/A cap badges of Royal Regiment of Artillery - CB No.s, NSNs, Pattern No.s Dress Committee references etc. as well as the reasons why the change took place. It is actually quite interesting and explains quite a lot about the appearance of the rear of many badges.

Yes, all badges you have Tony are good. re: Chronological order - yes, multiple part badges come after single part badges. To check the age of badges withing this grouping look at the makers marks on the slider and reconcile against those in Chapter 6: Manufacturer’s Markings. This should help.

Regards

Chris

tonyb 27-07-13 01:28 PM

Thanks Griff, Mike and Chris for your help with this one.
Cheers Tony.