British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Belt with badges WW1 13LH chap put together (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50685)

Jackhr 14-01-16 02:26 AM

Belt with badges WW1 13LH chap put together

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all
can any tell me abit about these badges on this belt which was put together by a chap in the 13th LH during his time in the war,any badges that stand out.

Thanks

slick_mick 14-01-16 02:37 AM

What do you mean by "stand out"?

Stand out by rarity? Aesthetic appeal?

Mick

Jackhr 14-01-16 02:41 AM

Both as I'm not a badge collector as such and these items belong to a group I have and I'm not well acquainted with British,NZ badges and was just curious as to which ones are more desireable .... but have no fear I do not indented to strip the belt.

slick_mick 14-01-16 02:43 AM

I don't think there is anything overly rare or expensive there.

Some nice UK Cavalry and Yeomanry badges that I can see.

Mick

Tinto 14-01-16 03:00 AM

Hi Jackhr,
Great lot of badges you have shown, thanks. I mainly agree with Mick, however the large RUAHINE badge is valuable, about NZ$450.
I see a Royal Australian Air Force badge, it would date from a later period surely.
Cheers, Tinto

Jackhr 14-01-16 03:06 AM

Yes I think he put that in there why I have no idea?Thanks for the info as I said I'm not a badge collector and just needed to know if there were any badges that would be sort after and expensive .RUAHINE badge can you enlighten me about this unit?

Thanks for your help mate

Tinto 14-01-16 03:15 AM

Jackhr,
The New Zealand unit, 17th (Ruahine) Regiment (Infantry) wore a smaller version on both hat and collars. They saw action at Gallipoli, France and Egypt during the First World War.
You have the larger helmet plate.
Tinto

slick_mick 14-01-16 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinto (Post 339299)
Hi Jackhr,
Great lot of badges you have shown, thanks. I mainly agree with Mick, however the large RUAHINE badge is valuable, about NZ$450.
I see a Royal Australian Air Force badge, it would date from a later period surely.
Cheers, Tinto

Yep - The RAAF was formed after the war (1921 from memory).

Mick

Wayne Ihaka 14-01-16 07:22 AM

I believe there is photo evidence of the large Ruahine badge being worn in the middle east in WW1 on the sun helmet so believe that was obtained in theatre

One of the better belts I've seen - as noted some nice yeomanry badges

Jackhr 14-01-16 07:38 AM

No chance of getting a photo of the sun helmet? Thanks guys for your comments and any more info regarding some of the badges are welcomed.

Thanks again

Jackhr 19-01-16 04:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got the belt in my hands and have taken better pictures , there are all sorts of things on it badges,buttons,tokens? and a bullet .Regarding the RAAF badge as the were formed in 1921 and became RAAF in 1923 ( Royal ) would anyone have an idea what the RAAF badge would have looked for that time period?

slick_mick 19-01-16 05:01 AM

From Wikipedia:

The Australian Flying Corps remained part of the Australian Army until 1919, when it was disbanded along with the First Australian Imperial Force (AIF). Although the Central Flying School continued to operate at Point Cook, military flying virtually ceased until 1920, when the Australian Air Corps (AAC) was formed. The Australian Air Force was formed on 31 March 1921. King George V approved the prefix "Royal" in June 1921 and became effective on 31 August 1921.

The AFC up to 1919 would have worn a Rising Sun badge.

Not sure when the RAAF KC hat badge came into being.

Mick

pukman 21-01-16 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 339316)
No chance of getting a photo of the sun helmet? Thanks guys for your comments and any more info regarding some of the badges are welcomed.

Thanks again

Here is a picture of the large Ruahine helmet plate being worn in the Middle East in WW1 ,by a New Zealand Private

Cheers Iain

btns 21-01-16 05:54 AM

Picture 4, the button below the Egyptian Railways button, is an Australian made button for Dutch East Indian forces during or after WWII.

pukman 22-01-16 01:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Ihaka (Post 339313)
I believe there is photo evidence of the large Ruahine badge being worn in the middle east in WW1 on the sun helmet so believe that was obtained in theatre

One of the better belts I've seen - as noted some nice yeomanry badges

Here is a Ruahine helmet plate worn on a service dress cap, circa August 1915 .Not uncommon to see volunteer period badges worn in New Zealand in WW1 ,prior to going overseas