British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   25162992 L/Cpl. B. J. Drake. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66055)

Hoot 07-01-18 11:35 PM

25162992 L/Cpl. B. J. Drake.

Someone in our old squadron's facebook group informs us the medals to the above named were found in a car being scrapped in Exeter. The person who found them would like to return them to the owner and is wondering how to go about it. Could anyone on the forum help at all ?. Cheers, Hoot.

Wooffy 07-01-18 11:50 PM

Hi Hoot, A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that they were found early December and they have subsequently been reuited with their owner - although I have no personal knowledge of that, only reporting what I read. Probably most comprehensive thread is here.

Jelly Terror 07-01-18 11:57 PM

I once returned a Great War Victory Medal to the family of the recipient. It involved the cooperation of a local newspaper printing an article.

A number of potential candidates eventually emerged, and it fell to me ultimately to choose between them (an unpleasant task I had naively not anticipated). It brought a few shysters out of the woodwork too, but in the end it went to the closest surviving family member. But how do you really decide?

There was no online social media network to turn to back then, which might have made the task a great deal easier. Perhaps Facebook might be a good first point of call, if you haven't already investigated that?

Cheers,

JT

Jelly Terror 08-01-18 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooffy (Post 432430)
Hi Hoot, A quick search on twitter seems to indicate that they were found early December and they have subsequently been reuited with their owner - although I have no personal knowledge of that, only reporting what I read. Probably most comprehensive thread is here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly Terror (Post 432431)
I once returned a Great War Victory Medal to the family of the recipient. It involved the cooperation of a local newspaper printing an article.

A number of potential candidates eventually emerged, and it fell to me ultimately to choose between them (an unpleasant task I had naively not anticipated). It brought a few shysters out of the woodwork too, but in the end it went to the closest surviving family member. But how do you really decide?

There was no online social media network to turn to back then, which might have made the task a great deal easier. Perhaps Facebook might be a good first point of call, if you haven't already investigated that?

Cheers,

JT

Oops! Apologies. Hadn't seen Wooffy's post prior to posting.

Hoot 08-01-18 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooffy (Post 432430)

Thanks Wooffy, that's good news. I know the old codgers on our facebook group are getting on a bit but old Dave's well out of date by the look of it.:D

Hoot 08-01-18 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly Terror (Post 432433)
Oops! Apologies. Hadn't seen Wooffy's post prior to posting.

Cheers JT.