British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   LRDG Silver Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66366)

seebee1 28-01-18 10:46 AM

LRDG Silver Badge

3 Attachment(s)
I would like to know when this LRDG Silver Badge was made and for what purpose. The Hallmark final stamp may not be too clear. It may have been made for a post-war reunion, or a commemorative piece, I really do not know. Any thoughts and ideas will be much appreciated. Regards, Clive.

JerryBB 28-01-18 03:27 PM

Looks to be modeled from the most common fake version of the badge

seebee1 28-01-18 04:18 PM

Thank you for your comments. If this is a fake, which it could well be, are the hallmarks genuine or fake too? Regards, Clive.

Rob Miller 28-01-18 04:35 PM

There are some marks around the hallmarks, I suspect that piece of silver has been cut from another period silver object and attached to this badge.

Rob

Paul Spellman 28-01-18 05:15 PM

Hi,
I can't make out the date letter but the cartouche size and shape appears to be for the 1960's to modern day
Paul

grenadierguardsman 28-01-18 06:41 PM

Even if its not modelled off the common faked badge, the quality is definitely crap.
Andy
I wonder if it not the work of that shister, that does the other, stamped " Silver " badges ?

Luke H 28-01-18 07:40 PM

From the quality of the work I’d say it was made to deceive collectors into parting with hundreds or thousands of pounds

popskipa 28-01-18 08:00 PM

Clive,

I collect LRDG items and can confirm the badge is a modern fake.

However, if for sale, I am interested in buying it as I keep a "black" collection of fakes and copies that I used for reference. The collection has proven useful in detecting fakes that have been artificially weathered, polished, or attached to caps, or shoulder boards, with the purpose of deceiving the unwary.

I have sent a PM.

Indeed if anyone has fake LRDG or Popski badges (both metal and cloth), that they don't know what to do with, I will gladly have them to add to the "black" reference collection.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith

Frank Kelley 28-01-18 08:12 PM

Interstingly, it is quite remarkable how the word "crap" goes with the particular "shister" you mention!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 434349)
Even if its not modelled off the common faked badge, the quality is definitely crap.
Andy
I wonder if it not the work of that shister, that does the other, stamped " Silver " badges ?

grenadierguardsman 28-01-18 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kelley (Post 434361)
Interstingly, it is quite remarkable how the word "crap" goes with the particular "shister" you mention!:eek:

:D
Andy

seebee1 29-01-18 03:23 PM

Many thanks for the comments and observations. Fortunately I did not pay too much for this badge, perhaps this was a clue, but the fellow who sold it assured me it was either WW2 or immediately after. I am actually more annoyed about the Hallmark, at one time this was something that you could trust, sadly no longer it seems. Regards, Clive.

popskipa 29-01-18 03:37 PM

Forging a hallmark is a criminal offence in the U.K. as I suspect it is in most countries.

Keith

half12 29-01-18 04:10 PM

Hi,

Could be a London 1985 hallmark ... a real hallmarked silver fake ? :cool:

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/11/22/13/32/london10.jpg

Best regards .. Herve

Paul Spellman 29-01-18 05:13 PM

The Hallmark is likely genuine, the badge likely made from a lump of scrap Silver in more recent times and sent off to the Assay Office for stamping, if you look closely near the date letter it looks as though it has purposely been scratched so that it cannot be read properly.
If you have an unmarked item of silver you can pay for it to be Assayed.
Paul
They will of course put the current year date letter on the item

Frank Kelley 29-01-18 05:57 PM

From the centre photograph in the original post, I think it is a just single piece of silver, crudely cast, very basic silver wire lugs with the marks applied directly to it's reverse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Miller (Post 434332)
There are some marks around the hallmarks, I suspect that piece of silver has been cut from another period silver object and attached to this badge.

Rob