British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Canadian Army in WW2 (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68421)

Mike Jackson 13-06-18 05:08 AM

Canadian Army in WW2

A very basic question - was Middle East style khaki drill uniform ever worn in, for example, Calgary in the summer? It's in connection with a military vehicle and driver identification. Thanks. Mike

Mike Jackson 13-06-18 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the image. on the reverse it reads, "Calgary Highlanders, was wounded when fighting in Holland. Here he is at a hospital in England, November 1944." In my opinion the caption is inaccurate - if the marking on the side of the Jeep is a contraction of Military District 13, this could have been taken in Alberta at the height of summer. The other markings on the Jeep are unusual and not like the markings applied by the Canadian Army in UK and NWE. What do the Canadian experts think?
Attachment 189783

edstorey 13-06-18 09:55 AM

Khaki Drill Uniforms

Yes, Khaki Drill (KD) uniforms were authorized for wear in Canada during the summer months (May-August). KD was a hot weather uniform and was not authorized for wear in the UK or NW Europe. KD was also worn during summer months (in theory) in the Mediterranean theatre, although these uniforms were usually of British, Indian or War Aid Manufacture.

The Jeep was definitely photographed in Canada as the vehicle markings are consistent with those which were applied nationally.

Mike Jackson 13-06-18 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstorey (Post 446142)
Yes, Khaki Drill (KD) uniforms were authorized for wear in Canada during the summer months (May-August). KD was a hot weather uniform and was not authorized for wear in the UK or NW Europe. KD was also worn during summer months (in theory) in the Mediterranean theatre, although these uniforms were usually of British, Indian or War Aid Manufacture.

The Jeep was definitely photographed in Canada as the vehicle markings are consistent with those which were applied nationally.

Very many thanks. Do you have a view about MD 13? Is there a document in existence which allows a decode of the three digit numbers - 754 for instance - unique to specific units? Mike

edstorey 13-06-18 02:11 PM

Vehicle Markings

The 5-cwt markings are for A16 Canadian Infantry Training Centre - Calgary. Militia District (MD) 13 encompassed all of Alberta as well as the western half of the Northwest Territories. The vehicle tactical sign is for a school or training establishment and the Canadian Army Registration (CAR) number is ?9-754 with the 754 being carried over to the windscreen.

Mike Jackson 13-06-18 04:05 PM

Ed, That is outstanding - very many thanks. I'm relieved that I was on the right track even though I couldn't have reached the destination without your help. Mike