British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   OSD Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67960)

Shiny 18-05-18 08:52 PM

OSD Badges

Hi All,

Am I right in thinking all OSD badges have blades rather than sliders or lugs?

Thanks,

Michael

manchesters 18-05-18 09:39 PM

No, collar badges have loops.

Sliders - no.

regards

Shiny 18-05-18 09:41 PM

Thanks a lot Simon, that answers my question.

Michael

BROOKIES 19-05-18 03:07 PM

Michael.

Agree with Simon re sliders but there is the rare occasion that some OSD do come with a slider, RE Royal Monmouthshire Engineers being one.

Ta

Jonathan

Shiny 19-05-18 03:14 PM

Ok, thanks a lot Jonathan.

Michael

leigh kitchen 19-05-18 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKIES (Post 443966)
Michael.

Agree with Simon re sliders but there is the rare occasion that some OSD do come with a slider, RE Royal Monmouthshire Engineers being one.

Ta

Jonathan

I have an OSD RE with slider which has provenance - acquired by an uncle from a unit on Hilly Fields, Brockley, during WWII.

KLR 19-05-18 08:08 PM

OSD's also come with loops - both 1st and 2nd WWs. I have to admit, I haven't seen sliders on OSDs but they do appear on S or S&G badges !

Sonofacqms 19-05-18 10:06 PM

Northumberland Fusiliers officers with slider

Many years ago I bought a Northumberland Fusiliers officers silver and gilt cap badge with a slider, albeit a very short slider.

Some time later we were on our way to Devon and saw a car boot sale, we stopped and I bought a slightly battered officers cap for the Northumberland Fusiliers, there was a strange device fitted to the front of the cap where the badge should have been, it was a slot and when I got it home my badge fitted exactly, hence the short slider . . !

Never say never with badge collecting, most of the hard and fast rules are great to go by, but never say never . . !

Rob

KLR 20-05-18 06:33 AM

Great find(s) Rob. The slider and 'device' are described in Dennis Wood's new edition of his NF book.

Sonofacqms 20-05-18 04:29 PM

Officers with a slider

2 Attachment(s)
This is the badge in question, the slider fits neatly into the slot on the front of the hat, the hat is in storage at present and cannot be easily located, but this is the badge.

As to whether this idea of fixing badges to headdress is unique to the Northumberland Fusiliers I am not sure, perhaps forum members have similar badges.

Rob

leigh kitchen 20-05-18 04:57 PM

Nice, Tigerlily's got a death grip on her RNF cap - I need this NF one.

Nozzer 20-05-18 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 444111)
As to whether this idea of fixing badges to headdress is unique to the Northumberland Fusiliers I am not sure, perhaps forum members have similar badges

Hi Rob,

Norfolk Regiment Officers "gilt" cap badge. A strange one that I think could have been an OSD originally. Alternatively it could have been gilt, losing the original finish when the shank was added.

As I will never know the history of this badge, I am happy to let it sit with my collection as a curio.

Andy

leigh kitchen 20-05-18 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzer (Post 444138)
Hi Rob,

Norfolk Regiment Officers "gilt" cap badge. A strange one that I think could have been an OSD originally. Alternatively it could have been gilt, losing the original finish when the shank was added.

As I will never know the history of this badge, I am happy to let it sit with my collection as a curio.

Andy

Is there wording stamped across the slider just above the crimp or am I just imagining it?

Nozzer 20-05-18 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 444139)
Is there wording stamped across the slider just above the crimp or am I just imaging it?

No, just marks.

leigh kitchen 20-05-18 06:57 PM

Ta - I can "see" letters including "AHJW". Strange.